Christmas Tragedy in My Tank

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Well, astral projection does have some drawbacks I suppose, once in a while you meet something that comes back with you, I put them in the skimmer, they seem happy and productive there .Steve

virginiadiver

bluespotjawfish, I dealt with www.filterguys.biz. I am brand new with all of this and they were great to deal with. They held my hand every step of the way. Check some LFS, many sell RO/DI water by the gallon. This may be an alternative in the short term.
I think you mentioned that you use an under-gravel filter? From what I have been reading in my start-up research is that this style of filter can do more harm than good. I understand that it can go for a long time doing okay than after harboring ammonia and nitrites can really go south on you.
I am sure a more experienced reefer can comment on this.

bluespotjawfish

Yes, I have heard the horror stories about them. At the time I set up the tank they were the in thing to do. Now, I am scared to death to try and remove it. Any one else have any thoughts on this? If I am going to remove it, now is the time to do it before the corals come back. Fish wouldn't be able to handle another cycling at this time, so unless I can figure out how to remove it without a cycle, it's staying. It's a one piece unit, so removing it in sections isn't an option.

I know, I can get another tank!!! Move these guys to it.... Ok, don't get too excited...not going to happen. At least not another large one. A nano sounds cool right now though.

Will be doing another WC today. Stats this AM, without a WC yesterday!

Ammonia = 1.2
Nitrites <0.1
Nitrates = 5-10
Phosphates = 1.0

Also tested my tap water, 0 on both nitrate and phosphates.

Other Questions:

Should I clean the top of the gravel yet? There is some loose stuff on top, but it is what I would consider clean (white to red looking and no algae in top 1", a dirty green/brown looking below that). The fish are hunting through the top to find stuff to eat (nearly starving them). I'm not used to my fish hunting for food, daddy usually feeds them well.

When should I resume normal feeding? I started feeding a cube of mysis shrimp and a cube of green stuff (couple diff varieties) each day as of Wednesday. So, went 4 days without feeding and now I feed less than 1/2 normal feeding (however, no corals to also catch some of that). Since I don't want the ammonias to rise again, I'm trying to keep feeding to a minimum. The more aggressive fish are getting food, but the others aren't. My larger yellow tang is getting a sunken belly, can I feed any "tang food" yet? Don't know the name of this live plant that is red, they just call it tang food at the store.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Nori? roasted seaweed perfect with rice and wasabi lol. dont see why not, wouldnt use a clip less waste. OK now about this U/G thingy, I wonder if it couldnt be decomissioned and used like a plenum(sp?) nitrates may rise a little, but stopping the draw of detrius into the substrate may lessen this, alot of sand stirrers will not live in crushed coral so a specific sand crew may be needed, hope somebody with Berlin knowledge speaks up. Steve

bluespotjawfish

Sorry, it is a plenum filter. My filters don't draw anything from/to the substrate. I clean the top portion of what I can reach each time I clean the tank (except haven't touched it this week). I've had good luck with sand sifting stars and gobies, as well as crabs to keep the top layer clean. Don't have anything in there right now other than crabs. My wrasse, clown, and a few others stir the top up a bit. I think the aragonite is behaving very well right now even without these in the tank. I initially got this filter because they said it would manage the nitrates in the tank, which it did for a long time. Don't know what it is doing right now.

I usually use a rubberband around the tang food and put it behind the rocks, but they snarf it all up within the day (everyone loves it). Hope the LFS is open and has some.

bluespotjawfish

"Well, astral projection does have some drawbacks I suppose, once in a while you meet something that comes back with you, I put them in the skimmer, they seem happy and productive there .Steve"

PS - I put these things in my plenum!

boozeman

That must have all been a private joke.

sorry to have derailed your thread a little...under my name is the title Linkman~ it seems that the last software update removed it... if you ever need a link to some information on the net just say so (or send me a pm) I will quickly look it up for you :invisible

bluespotjawfish

I'm confused...Some history first:

12/31 Hagen Tests (24 hours after waterchange)
Ammonia = 0.3 (down from >4.9)
Nitrite = <0.1 (down from 0.3)
Nitrate = 5 (down from 10-20)

1/1 Hagen Tests (48 hours after waterchange)
Ammonia = 1.2
Nitrites <0.1
Nitrates = 5-10
Phosphates = 1.0

1/2 Hagen Tests (24 hours afte waterchange)
Ammonia = 1.2
Nitrites <.1
Nitrates = 5
Phosphate = 5

Ok, for the confusion, I bought new Salifert kits today:

1/2 Salifert
Ammonia = <.25
Nitrites = .1
Nitrates = 5
Phosphate = 3

Confused about the ammonia level yet??? What let's add another one:

1/2 Mardel Test Strip
Ammonia = .25

So what test should I believe? I didn't do a WC yet today, but if it is in the range of 1.2 I really should because I won't be able to do one in the morning. If it is only .25 I'd like to leave it alone. Fish seem fine. When it measured >4.9 they were obviously stressed, but all are eating and swimming casually around the tank.

PS - I got my Marine Depot shipment today so I just added a phosphate reactor with PhosGuard and DeNitrate in it (after I tested the water). Hopefully it will get rid of those annoying nitrates and phosphates.

So what do you think about the ammonia test results?????

bluespotjawfish

Been thinking...

Remember that Amquel I used when all this started??? I wonder if is still binding the ammonia and the Salifert test isn't including that??? I'm runnning twice as much carbon as I usually do, the tank is clear (no longer cloudy). Don't know, just a thought in the night... Nitrites have spiked and have stayed fairly low since then, the ammonia has continued to run high (based on the hagen kit). This seemed odd to me, but since I lost my corals and the tank is still fully stocked fish, I attributed it to that.

Still looking for opinions if you have one.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
So how many gallons have you changed now? lol. things must be getting better, keep posting, this could be the longest intro post ever. Steve