choosing an aqaurium input needed???

Just looked at a custom 55 gallon accryillic aquarium today.
The guy is selling a 55 gallon tenecor custom aquarium with the canopy and the stand. It has a 48" corlife 260watt powercompact light that comes with it along with the sump and all the plumbing as well. He is asking $375 for everything and I feel like im getting a decent deal. He upgraded to a 125 gallon and even offered to come over and help me set it up as well as seed my sand with some of his live sand. Any inputs???

Luukosian

As long as you have the money for all the other things that come with a reef tank the actual tank itself is ussualy the least expensive part of the deal.

wm23oh

Here is my opinion.

The lights suck. You will need to get better lighting IMO. After upgrading from PC to T5's I will NEVER buy PC's again!

As for the tank only YOU can answer if it's a good deal. What do you want to keep? Will you be happy with the limitations of the tank size?

You said it's a custom 55 gallon tank but I'm not sure if you mean it's a custom setup or the tank was actually custom made. If it was custom made and it fits With your goals then by all means get the tank. But if it's a standard 55 gallon tank then they are typically rather narrow and difficult to stack live rock up in from what I've read.

Best of luck,

It was a custom built accrylllic tank built by tenecor. it is rather narrow, i believe a foot deep but is a really good looking aquarium.
Luukosian I agree with your statement but while it may be the least expensive, it is probably what your going to build your entire system around so i deem it pretty important!

Luukosian

In my opinion I wouldn't want an acrylic tank for fear of scratching it and if its more narrow than a standard 55 there is no way I'd go for it. Standard 55's are really narrow and hard to build a scape in, I couldn't imagine if my 55 was any narrower.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Sounds fair, acrylic is not that bad used to have a 70 pics in my gallery.

The Pc lights are fine and can always be upgraded down the road, I wouldn't make it first priority by any means, t5ho are nice but it doesn't make Power compacts junk there will always be the next big thing as soon as Leds are affordable T5s will be junk in some peoples opinion. Halides and vhos were the thing when I started, then came the Pc, and then the t5/T5ho, and soon led all these lights are acceptable and work well, everyone has their preferences.

In this hobby every piece of equipment has a give and take.

My .02 means nothing, I still favor halide vho combos. :p I have used all the above and I like them all for different reasons.

Eric

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's how I would approach it if I were in your shoes today:

• A) Is 55g the size you're wanting and looking for?
    *** If so then go to C)
    *** If you're just buying it because it's a percieved good deal to to B)
  • B) Maybe it's NOT the right tank, the right time for you :)
  • C) Do you have the means, desire and space to keep it long term?
    *** If so then go to D)
    *** If not go to B)
  • D) Is the tank and all equipment in good working order and aesthetically pleasing (no bad scratches or visible flaws)
    *** If so then go to E)
    *** If not go to B)
  • E) This may be a great tank and if everything is GOOD to go it may be a great buy.

Just make sure it's in good shape and the tank you really want. Just being a "good price" doesn't always make it a "Good Deal". I've thrown away more "Good Priced" things than I care to mention.

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)