Chillers: Good, Bad or Ugly??

VP Clown

I agree. Get at least 1/10HP. Mine struggles and it is 1/15HP however it is a little warmer here in HKG than in the UK.

Have a look at this :eek: ... haha. I'd love to get one... maybe for the new tank.

It's a heater and chiller combined. Fits nicely in the cabinet! Excellent product but $$$$ :eek:
DSC_0309.jpg

Yes, these are the peltieer type, you can by 1 fan/section or as many as you like, they heat and cool, and don't use refrigerents. Becareful putting these in cabinets as they rely on air circulation to do the job- a major plus is that they are quiet and just sound liike a fan,
Andy

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Totally just my opinion, but reef temperatures can change a couple degrees day to night, and seasonally, and IMO a couple degrees difference day and night is more natural. Again, MO, but I think a little variation (within reason) is better than an unnatural constant temperature.

I think a chiller is a must. before my tank would go anywhere from 76F to 85F+. now it stays at 78-80 (on my 20g). Although i have read a horror story about someones JBJ chiller catch on fire and burned the side of this stand...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
As I said, variation within reason - that indeed is too much of a change, and getting too warm. Mine runs 79-81F in the summer, with no chiller and just fans, and a cool house. My raised hood, even with a 150W HQI plus 96W of actinics, runs a lot cooler than my closed hood ever did, but obviously needs a lot of top off. In the winter I take the fans off - not needed.

Wow - on the chiller burning up - scary!

CaRSMDuke

My votes are Ugly and GOOD.
My tank without a chiller can swing from 79 to 85 farenheit on the hotter days here. That is with the cover open and an exhaust fan blowing. I now have a 1/10 HP chiller on my RSM 130D and so far the temp has stayed at 79 to 80 degrees all day.

poo417

I am now very happy with my chiller. My tank temps were crazy without it. The cooling fan was really not able to cope with the heat we had a couple of weeks ago. With room temps of over 30C I hate to think what it would have been in the tank. I am afraid I refuse to have the hood up (as dies SWMBO :surrender: ) that is why I bought a max to have it all enclosed. Now I have got mine all set and running I am quite happy. It is set to 26C. The chiller kicks in at 27C then over the next 20 mins or so it cools the water back down to 26. However the actual tank temp only seems to go down to 26.3 so the swing is only .7C. I assume it is just the way the water flows though the back of the max. My loop that has the Pump from tank -> UV -> Chiller -> Phosphate Reactor -> Tank. I think due to all the pipes and stuff going in the back of the tank evaporation cooling on it's own just was not working. I may install the cooling fan back in just to slow the rise of temps again which can be quite quick when the room temp is high.

Cheers

John

Madfish

Yes, these are the peltieer type, you can by 1 fan/section or as many as you like, they heat and cool, and don't use refrigerents. Becareful putting these in cabinets as they rely on air circulation to do the job- a major plus is that they are quiet and just sound liike a fan,
Andy

Hello Guys,

This post is very interesting. Does anyone know what the brand of this weard looking chiller is and where I can get one ?

alphasierra

Hello Guys,

This post is very interesting. Does anyone know what the brand of this weard looking chiller is and where I can get one ?

Hi Madfish,

I came across this while researching for my next aquarium setup.

The brand is GHL (German Brand) and they are at the high end of the aquarium trade. Here is their homepage (English version) showing all the products they offer.

Home

In summary, they are renowned for their Profilux controllers (basically a very high tech computer controller) and dosing pumps. They also make heating/cooling equipment, lighting units and communicating equipment.

In relation to your question, they can be found at numerous websites (pending where you are in the world)
Here are some direct links:
GHL Profilux UK - UK Distributors Of GHL Profilux II Aquarium Computers (UK or North American/Canadian Links)

Reef Central Online Community - GHL ProfiLux Aquatic Controller (Great forum for Q/A's)

Hope that helps. Beware... Rather pricey equipment.

Madfish

He, thank you very much for this information. Now I am really getting interested.

Don't you guys think that it is possible to build a chiller like that by our selves ?

It seems to be Vents that blow on a computer processor cooling systhem that is mounted on a metal or aluminum box where the wather is running true ? Combine that with a temperature controller and you got yourself a chiller !

It sounds easy but I guess it would need a few trys! I will put some thought into that. something should be possible..............

alphasierra

Your welcome. They certainly have some great equipment. As for building a chiller... my DIY skills are limiting so it's out of the question. :)

poo417

He, thank you very much for this information. Now I am really getting interested.

Don't you guys think that it is possible to build a chiller like that by our selves ?

It seems to be Vents that blow on a computer processor cooling systhem that is mounted on a metal or aluminum box where the wather is running true ? Combine that with a temperature controller and you got yourself a chiller !

It sounds easy but I guess it would need a few trys! I will put some thought into that. something should be possible..............

It would be possible. I think the cooler would need to be based on a peltier setup as I think that one is. The other problem would be getting the titanium radiator. In theory it would work but don't have the knowledge to say how easy it would be. I know people that have made home made peltiers for pc cooling so I suppose it could be done.

John

Madfish

It would be possible. I think the cooler would need to be based on a peltier setup as I think that one is. The other problem would be getting the titanium radiator. In theory it would work but don't have the knowledge to say how easy it would be. I know people that have made home made peltiers for pc cooling so I suppose it could be done.

John

Well the heating part is the difficult part but I am only thinking about cooling.

Using the Peltiee technilogy like in computers, associated with a Tunze Temperature controller set it should be possible. This post got my cusiosity shooting up like a rocket !

I will try to build one. And if it works, I will let you all know.

Laters

Chris