Chiller for 130D

mzreenie

Today the temp outside was up to 74 (highest since I set up my tank), and inside was up to 76. My tank went up to 80 degrees. It's winter - what will it be like once summer gets here? Makes me think I better start looking at chillers. Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate size chiller for the 130D? I was looking at a MarineDepot catalog, and it seems that the chiller could cost almost as much as the tank did!!! Does RSM sell a chiller? Maybe I should check their website now, but I would still appreciate suggestions. Would a Nano chiller be enough?

aftbn

I have a 1/4 Hp chiller and it does the job just fine. I'm in Augusta, GA and setup my tank in August, it was immediatly appearent I needed a chiller as my temp was running well into the 80s at times 85 to 86 degrees. Since I added the chiller I have been able to maintain my temp at a steady 79. I have the chiller inline from the refugium return and works like a charm.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I don't run a chiller (raised MH/T5 hood here, and cooling fans), but the 1/10 HP motors are what most seem to be happy with. Yes - they are expensive, unless you can get a deal on a good used one.

mzreenie

Well, I found out part of the problem - my cooling fan was not working!! It had a loose wire, and my husband fixed it, and the tank immediately started cooling down. I will definitely need a chiller at some point, but I have to wait till I recover from Christmas and all the money already spent starting up this new hobby.

RSM recommends a 1/10 HP chiller, but I have seen some 1/13 and 1/15 HP advertised and I wonder if one of them would be sufficient. Has anyone used either a 1/13 or a 1/15 on the RSM?

alphasierra

mzreenie

I'm using a Hailea HC-130A chiller.
Power 1/15HP
Rate of Flow 200~1000L/h

Over here in Hong Kong it does get rather hot and humid so I find it essential. Although the 1/15 HP does the job, I feel that it seems to struggle at times. I kept the tank around 26degrees (78.8) successfully during the summer months but if I were to buy another one, I'd probably go for at least a 1/10 HP for that little bit extra.

mzreenie

Thank You, I will bear that in mind. I wonder if the 1/13 is better since it is in between the 1/10 and the 1/15. I have plenty of time, and will hope for more comments.

prow

1/4HP JBJ Arctica chiller :snow:---dont get one that is just enough, the bigger the better and it allows for a tank up grade later as well. also remember the bigger it is the less work it does thus, operating cost will be much less. the best chillers out there, IMO, are Artica's and Pacific Coast.