Chiller advice

reefhusker

New Red Sea Max owner here. (65 gal) Temperature of my house isn't above 71 in the winter or summer, but still having trouble keeping temp below 79 degrees. Therefore i'm thinking about what chiller (brand and size) would work for my tank. These crazy things are expensive so i don't want overkill. I'm out of the loop in the chiller market so thats why i'm here.
Would a fan pointing at the tank help me out?

DaveK

Yes, chillers are expensive, so only use one as a last resort.

Yes, a fan over the surface of the water i n the tank and/or sump will reduce temperature. Expect evaporation rates to go up. You may want to invest in an ATO to keep up with the evaporation. It's a loot less expensive than a chiller.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I think every reef tank should have a chiller on it. Just another part of having a tuned in reef tank.
Fans are also a must have. Not only do they help cool the tank but the air circulating at the water surface helps bring fresher air for oxygen exchange.

DaveK

I just can't agree with the previous post. If you can maintain temps with out a chiller, you simply do not need one. A chiller is a very expensive piece of equipment not only to buy, but to run. Plus, it's really only needed if more conventional methods of cooling can't keep the temp down.

This hobby is expensive enough. Just buy what you need.

It gets pretty hot where I'm at so I'm thinking I'm gonna need a chiller for my rsm 250. I don't want to run the house A/C as I'm sure that'll use a LOT more power than a tank chiller. I've been searching for a while for one that isn't super expensive and can do the job. I just found this one, what do you guys think? Do any of you have this kind? Thanks.

I have never seen a chiller in operation and was thinking on getting one. I am just wondering how much noise do they put out. Mine will have to next to my tank in the living room and I don't want to get something that will make alot of noise.

DaveK

It gets pretty hot where I'm at so I'm thinking I'm gonna need a chiller for my rsm 250. I don't want to run the house A/C as I'm sure that'll use a LOT more power than a tank chiller. I've been searching for a while for one that isn't super expensive and can do the job. I just found this one, what do you guys think? Do any of you have this kind? Thanks.

I have not used that chiller. It looks like it would do the job, but it's far more than you need for an RSM 250. That chiller can do a 30 degree pull down in a 100 gal tank. Typically, at most you only need a 10 to 15 degree pull down for a typical tropical reef.

DaveK

I have never seen a chiller in operation and was thinking on getting one. I am just wondering how much noise do they put out. Mine will have to next to my tank in the living room and I don't want to get something that will make alot of noise.

A chiller is going to make about the same amount of noise as a small room air conditioner. That will give you some idea of what to expect. Obviously some brands will make more noise than others.

qsligh

Having failed in this area many years ago, I must agree that a chiller is somewhat of a must for most tanks. What my mistakes has taught me is that making sure that I have enough pull down power in the chiller in essential. The quicker you can cool the tank the easier it is to maintain the required temp and the less power the chiller will use in the long run. I ended up getting a 1/3hp for my 55gl tank which game me a 10 degree pull down and it worked great. Some of the things to look for in a chiller is internal construction, ie. is it made out of titanium to lessen the rust factor. What is the decibal rating and flow rate for cooling. These are just some of the items that must be taken into consideration when purchasing a chiller. They are expensive, but in my opinion, there's no joy in junk. Just do your home work and you will be fine.

DaveK, wouldn't you want one that's a bit more than you plan on using it for? I've read all over the Internet to get one size bigger than you think you'll need.

If it's anything like a window air conditioner I know from experience that if you get one that's too small for the room you aren't going to get the temp where you want it and / or it will run all the time.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
DaveK, wouldn't you want one that's a bit more than you plan on using it for? I've read all over the Internet to get one size bigger than you think you'll need.

If it's anything like a window air conditioner I know from experience that if you get one that's too small for the room you aren't going to get the temp where you want it and / or it will run all the time.

You want a chiller that is the right size for the tank. If you get one too small, it will run all the time, run up your bills, and wear out sooner.

Conversly, if you get one that is too big, it will not run for very long which. You really want the compressor to run at least 20 minutes when turned on - to "warm up" so to speak. Otherwise you will also wear out prematurely.

I have a Pacific Coast chiller, and the only time I notice it is when it turns off - there is a distinctive sound when the compressor turns off. I never notice when it is running. I am sure there are other chillers as good; this company I have had good luck with.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I might add that when I lived on the Canadian border, a chiller was never needed; now that I am back in Arkansas, it is a must. I think whether one is needed or not is a very regional question. What I like about a chiller with a dual stage thermostat is that it regulates bother hot and cold, and removes the problems relying on a heater thermostat.