Chicagoland Reefers

reyno26

Hi all. Just found this thread and I'm an extreme Southsider here (near the Indiana state line). New to RS and currently working on a 90 gal tank. I'm more of a FOWLR gal, but am looking into some corals down the road. There's only 1 LFS in my hood & he's got a 55 gal with some fish, that's it.

I work in the South burbs and usually hit up Aquatica in Tinley - just started selling frags - kind of pricey (compared to on-line, but that's what LFS are about), but knows his stuff and has good variety; Capture the Sea in Tinley - they're pricey as well, but good assortment; Odd Lots - 79th & Harlem, relatively new I think - has lot's of corals; Animal Krackers on 115th St in Merrionette Park - prices not too bad - employee's are usually teens who don't know much outside their own angst :nopity: ; there's a place around the Orland Mall I stopped at last week - awesome variety and set-ups, but again pricey on stock items. They charge $9/lb for LR but it was some nice LR. There's also a place on Cicero in Midlothian that's pretty decent.

Anyone been to the LFS on 190th (?) & Wolf Road in Mokena? I went out there and of course it was the day they were closed. I'm heading out to Scott's Pet Shop in Westchester today to see what they have. IMO they have a nice store with great variety and friendly, knowledgable workers. That concludes your So-side LFS tour, please stay seated until the tram comes to a complete stop :)

goldenmean

Hey Reyno26!

Im not familiar with the south side shops but I have checked out
Go Fish in Orland Park (143 St and US 45) and was pretty impressed with the place!

reyno26

Yeah Goldenmean, that's the one near the Orland Mall on John Humphrey Drive with the $9/lb beautiful LR. They have tons of nice livestock. I was looking for some actinic lights and a mag drive, but they were twice the price of on-line stores (but that's usually the case at LFS).

goldenmean

Yea you will alway find the better price on equipment online.

RS has a lot of great sponsors who offer stellar customer service.
You can find a link on the home page for the sponsors
Or if you go to the forum front page all the sponsors have their own forum too.

funkpolice

Scott's pet shop has some really nice corals at resonable prices, sometimes. I live about 2 blocks from go fish, the store by orland mall, so I'm in there all the time. I like aquatica in tinley the best, I think they have the healthiest looking corals. I didn't know about the mokena store, I'll check it out. Look up Dark Lord Coral, they have a really cool setup, and it's run out of their basement, you should call and let them know if you're going to go, so they can let you know if they will be home. Welcome to RS.
bill

funkpolice

Does anyone know of a good lfs around Naperville? Me and the wife have to go there for an ultrasound today, so I was hoping to hit a cool fish shop on the way home. We're leaving around noon today, so if you can let me know. Thanks.
bill

reyno26

Thanks Bill. I loved Go Fish's livestock and their LR was awesome. Right now I'm working on transferring from a 37 to 90 gal, so reef stuff will be down the road a ways (and I have a butt kickin aptasia eating Butterfly fish in the 37, so......). I go to Aquatica all the time; the guys are cool and he usually has a diverse selection.

The place in Mokena is Aquatic Environments on 187th & Wolf. I bought some live rock from a guy in Alsip who said that's the only store he goes to because of the service, healthy livestock, and price. I drove down there only to find out they're closed on Thursdays. Oh well.

reyno26

I think there's a reef plus or something in Aurora, The address is on-line. There's also a place by IKEA off of I-355. Spent too much time in IKEA to go there on my last trip though.

t_j

There is one place that has vary good prices (I think for the size of coral you get) and friendly its called "Beyond The Reef" in the NW Subs. For an LFS I think the prices are good.

PEMfish

!!!!info by Sat!!!!

Is there a LFS in walking distance from the Metra station Down town Chicago?

goldenmean

Paul I don't know of any LFS in the Loop/downtown area.
The closest would be Old Town Aquarium on Wells St. near North Ave.
Its a really good reef store but it is pricey.