chemical warfare

Charlie97L

this thread is so inappropriate, it's not even funny.

oh wait, it IS funny.

speaking of incorrect names/forumulas...

duuude, if i use NOS on my reef tank will it make my fish go faster? cuz they're slow right now. all the fish look giggly.

duuuuuude.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
D2O is just wetter :)

if i use NOS on my reef tank will it make my fish go faster

No, it will put them to sleep ;) And if it gets out into the room you will be laughing allot :lol: :lol: If enough then you will fall asleep ;)

reefjitsu

Then there is hydrogen peroxide that should be called dihydrogen dioxide,

We have reasons for calling them what they are. No, it should not be called that

Ah, yes, I am aware that there are reasons for calling them what they are, but are the reasons logical, or are they inconsistent, archaic and somewhat arbitrary. I lean toward the later, especially the inconsistent part.

CO is carbon oxide right? No, it is carbon monoxide.
Iron oxide has one Fe molecule and one O right? No, it has 2 Fe and 3 O's. If it is iron(III) oxide, that is. I could go on and on with this. It seems to me that the naming of binary chemical compounds could be made simpler by using a method that more accurately describes the compound and in a simpler and more consistent way.

I might add that technically speaking water is not water/H20 most of the time Allot of it self ionizes to;

2 H2O ==> H3O+ + OH- and at times H30*(H20). This is what 100% pure water really is

And if there is any hydrolsis the you get stuff like
4 H2O ==> H5O2+ + H3O2-
This is one of my favorite topics. I once gave a speech explaining this to a largely non-scientific audience, I never saw so many blank looks in my life. Even some of the science people looked at me like I just destroyed the one part of chemistry that they thought they understood.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
No jit I can not really disagree I'm just pickin' on yah :D

CO is carbon oxide right? No, it is carbon monoxide.

It is at times called carbon oxide ;)

Changing the old organic naming to a better one like IUPAC, that has been done.

1,2,3,4,5,6-hexanitrobenzene, in stead of hexanitrobenzene or Isobutane now being called 2-methylpropane .

But when I'm showing some one a peice of Magnetite, Fe3O4, I do not want to be calling it Triiron quadraoxide either :)

reefjitsu

No jit I can not really disagree I'm just pickin' on yah
I must admit that I have been foolin' around, having a little fun myself.

I do not want to be calling it Triiron quadraoxide either
It sure does look funny when you write it, but I still say that triiron quadroxide rolls off the tongue nicely. :)