Cheato

soily

Hi all

I'm thinking of adding cheato to my rsm by either the soap dish method or maybe the surface skimmer, but i was wondering just how much cheato is needed to make a positive impact on the tank. Will a small amount ie a soapdish full be enough ?

My reason for thinking of this is because i cannot seem to get my phosphates down, i run rowaphos in a reactor and don't overfeed but still the phos is higher than i would want. I was thinking of the cheato because of the cheapness as opposed to £18 for more rowaphos. Also i am going to check my ro water next time i do a change.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
A small amount is OK. You want the chaeto to have room to grow. The new growth is what has the biggest impact on removing the phosphates and nitrates. When it overgrows the container it'll need trimming to allow more new growth. It's also good to turn it over ever few days - otherwise the bottom that gets less light may die off.

soily

Cheers terry, any ideas about where the phos is coming from? i have changed nothing and its new rowaphos.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Cheers terry, any ideas about where the phos is coming from? i have changed nothing and its new rowaphos.

Maybe from food? Phosphates are often used as preservatives. Could be leaching out of the rock too, but I think your tank is old enough that you might be able to rule that out. Other than tap water I'm not sure where else it could be coming from.