Cheato in DT?

Ratpack

Does anyone have Cheato or other algae in the DT? I have tried it in my sump since I cannot have a refugium but the light causes other algae to grow and my auto top off has stuck on twice. Luckily it hasn't caused any damage to the corals with the excess water, but I am ready to stop it from happening.

Creekview

The decorator rock I got from Fla. Live Rock was loaded with macroalgae, including Chaeto, a big stand of shaving brush and a bunch of Halimeda and red grape caulerpa. Mine is a new tank which is cycling. The stuff has been in there 8 days and is growing like crazy. All of the macroalgae have put out new growth. At the same time nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia have dropped to zeros across the board. I kind of like how it looks, and I can cut it back for nutrient export.

man I had my chaeto in my dt for like 1 month now, but it isnt growing at all and i think its been belting from two tennis ball size to only one tennis ball size. I believe there are two facts. One is my tank maybe too clean, that dont have enough nutrients for chaeto to grow. Two is not enough water movement, Lots of ppl put the chaeto in their refug so there will be lots of water goes through for sure, but if in a dt, you dont have enough flow for every corner therefore, the nutrients cant be deliver to the chaeto.

now, like the guy on top hes setting up with a new tank, which means will have lots of nitrite and stuff, which give lots of food source for micro algae.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I have multiple slow growing display algae in my DT, but chaeto only in the sump. Reason: Chaeto tends to break apart, it doesn't attach to anything very well, and it really needs higher flow than most people keep in their Dt.
Chaeto tends to be a fast grower if your nutrients are abundant. I hate it in the DT, falls apart and ends up everywhere.

Chaeto is a sump algae imho.

bump
I have multiple slow growing display algae in my DT, but chaeto only in the sump. Reason: Chaeto tends to break apart, it doesn't attach to anything very well, and it really needs higher flow than most people keep in their Dt.
Chaeto tends to be a fast grower if your nutrients are abundant. I hate it in the DT, falls apart and ends up everywhere.

Chaeto is a sump algae imho.

StirCrayzy

i Tried it in my DT once years ago, cuz i didnt yet have a sump hooked up. My urchin loved it, and dragged pieces everywhere. Not a pretty picture, Never again.
Plenty of other options for Macros. And dont even think about grape caulerpa either. ;)