Certification

michael_cb_125

Well, I am signing up for my diving certification class tommorow. Ive never scuba dived before, all I have ever done is free diving. Im very excited. Now when I go to florida I can go deeper than 50-60 feet. Free diving I can only get to about 55 feet. Diving will be so awesome. How difficult is diving, and how hard is the written test.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I was certified when I was 14 years old. I don't remember the test being that difficult. Of course, things have probably changed since then. I haven't dove in 25 years. I'm considering taking the class as well and getting back into the sport. I can remember how beautiful and awestruck I was with the reefs around Florida and the Bahamas. I used to collect my own fish when I was a teen. You will not regret this undertaking! Keep us posted.

I remembered the first time I went diving, my buddy never told me to relax when breathing. I was kinda neverous under water and probably sucked down a whole tank In ten minutes. I learned the more you control taking breaths the longer the tank last.

bluespotjawfish

55 feet free diving - wow! Diving will be alot like your free diving only you can take your time! Classes are set up to help you remember what you really need to know, so you should pass the test just fine. It's all about safety and what to do if!

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
Well I can tell you how hard the civilain wriiten test isI was Dive Certified when I was in the Marines it is a much more extreme & complex than in the civilain world. Diving was a great passion of mine up until 1989 when I was hurt & destroyed both of my knees. I have since tried to dive but fins are just to much stress on them for me to dive. so if I want to go know it is all about doing it with out fins. So the time under is far less 7 the distance traveled is equally less. I really miss it

prow

if you have a basic understanding of physiology it will be no problem. even if not so good its still not that hard. just remember to stay relaxed. for classes i here NAUI is more difficult then PADI. i took PADI and think they did a good job. i just read on the boards NAUI puts you through more BS.

kathywithbirds

I'm too much of a stressball... took a course in college, they kept piling weights on me, I was + bouyant, add a tank and you can't sink me!! I guess that's a plus if I ever get tossed overboard. Plus my ears won't equalize.

Amphibious

Well, I am signing up for my diving ....

How difficult is diving, and how hard is the written test.
I received my certification about three months ago. The written test is pretty easy because you go over everything important several times and take quizzes along the way before your actual written certification test. The hardest part for me was the 15 laps in the pool, without stopping for a rest, you have to do before going on to the "easy" fun stuff associated with diving. I thought my lungs and heart were going to explode. But, there's no time limit so you go slow. I made it and the rest is history.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I'm 69 years YOUNG??? (70th BD in Dec)

Dick

michael_cb_125

NO!!! ended up spending all of my money of Fish tanks. All the diving equipment was very expensive. I am going to wait until spring to do it.

bluespotjawfish

You might consider renting your gear until you can afford it. I only have my wetsuit, fins, and mask. We still rent the rest (saves us from having to maintain it).

My daughter certified as part of a college course and so picked up her PE credit by doing so.

dkissane

You will have a blast when you start SCUBA.

I would suggest just getting yourself the mask, fins, and snorkel. Renting equipment wherever you dive is much easier than spending the thousands of dollars to buy it and then lugging it all over the world with you. If you dont buy the equipment you dont have to keep up with the maintenance and worry about it falling apart or losing it.

A good mask that fits your face is the key. Another thing that is second to none is a dive computer. It take out all of the risk and second guessing about bottom time and nitrogen levels. I never dive without mine.

The certification test is not hard. You'll have a book that you can study and if you retain knowledge when you read it will be a piece of cake.

I've been diving for 11 years and love it.

fishnu

I got my cert with my oldest son when he turned 15. Saw a big Bull shark coming right at us on our final cert dive! He is now 22, and he was my youngest son's sponsor (now 17).

My middle son is skeptical about the motivation of fish.

Have a blast!

Last edited:

bluespotjawfish

Ditto on the dive computer! We got our computers last year and love them. You can also rent dive computers until you can afford one.