Catalina Aquarium 48" 150w x 2 HQI + 4 x 65w PC ACTINIC FIXTURE! PRICE INCLUDES S/H

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: Catalina Aquarium 48" 150w x 2 HQI + 4 x 65w PC ACTINIC FIXTURE! PRICE INCLUDES S

Cassie that's a HUGE jump in light. I'm not a fan of "Light Acclimation" via changing light schedules. You'll still be pushing HIGH INTENSITY light onto corals who aren't used to it. Just think how quickly a PALE person gets a sunburn. I like the use of multiple layers of window screen and remove one a week or two until they are ALL gone.

Congrats on the new light :)

SeaLover

Re: Catalina Aquarium 48" 150w x 2 HQI + 4 x 65w PC ACTINIC FIXTURE! PRICE INCLUDES S

al where do I get the screens at?

SeaLover

Al its going to come with mountable legs also. I should probally leave them on also huh?

SeaLover

Thanks! Well i am excited. I have graduated from power compacts to halides. How nice! I can pretty much house any coral with this light to AL?

SeaLover

I may have some of this screen. I have a pond and we may have some of this. If not we have a lowes. No home depot though. I live in Indiana. lol

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Cassie yeah this is one heck of a light upgrade. You can keep just about anything with proper placement :)

Window screen is inexpensive and available at just about any hardware store (I prefer the local independents over those "Big Box" stores). Just pick up several feet of it to make several layers. Try to approximate how much it takes to replicate the amount of light that's striking the coral surface with the new lights to the old lights. Then every week or so remove a layer and before you know it you'll be up to FULL POWER :)

Just go slow with an agenda :)

SeaLover

Yea that sounds easy. I read everything on the link you sent me and it was very useful! The egg crate isnt a bad idea either. About how many layers ya think I should put on? 2 months worth you think? Makes me nervous :) I have class at my college all day tomorrow! I am not going to be able to sleep! I am going in deep with this hobby!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

It would be a pure guess at best Cassie.

As for egg-crate just keep in mind it creates "shadow areas" as the coral goes out from the edges from directly under the light source. :)

SeaLover

Well I am excited! I will post pics after I get it. And maybe of my netting creation too. I also have some awesome zoas coming on wed. Will def have new pics

ZAPCOnj

to give you an idea on how much space you have to work with under the light when using the shorter legs here is a pic of the light over a tank using the 3.5" tall legs

110052124.jpg

you can effectively mount the screen with binder clips from staples! you can see one on the back left leg that the net is hung on. :)

SeaLover

Ok thanks! I am def going to do that!

nice dude its cool to see a fellow paintballer on this website what division do you play