Carnivorous Snail?

rebekwl

My husband brought this snail home a couple of months ago, and I have recently noticed that everytime I see it, it is eating another snail. I have NO clue what type of snail it is and I rarely see it, except for when it's feeding on one of my Astreas. It has a really weird shell, pointy all over, and has a feeler like the Nassarius snals do. Could it actually be hunting and killing the snails in my tank? I have noticed a huge decrease in my snail population, but that could be from switching my tank over not too long ago, and I can't imagine that he could be eating them at a very fast pace. Are there any good snail ID sites that anyone knows of, so maybe I can show you all what he looks like? Thanks!

michael_cb_125

Nassarius snails are a type of carnivorous snail. I had a seahorse that had a bacterial infection. I woke up to him lying on the ground breathing realy hard. I came back 20 min. later, only to find a gang of 4 Nassarius snails eating him ( he was not dead yet )

rebekwl

Thanks for the link Lynn! I looked through all o fhis snail info and didn't see my guy in there anywhere. I'll have to see if I can find it this evening and take a pic. I only see it every now and then, so that may be a task! I'm due to take some pics though anyways!!

michael_cb_125 - That poor thing! My nassarius snails are very aggressive whenever I feed the tank, they are certainly carnivorous!! I guess the proper terminology would be "predatory". (thanks reefjitsu)

Thanks all, I will see if I can find it and get some pics.

rebekwl

Here are a couple of pics of the little rascal. I couldn't really get any closer...

Attachments

• rs 9-28-07 022.JPG
    rs 9-28-07 022.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 31
  • rs 9-28-07 028.JPG
    rs 9-28-07 028.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 31

rebekwl

Well, I'm not sure if it's actually hunting the other snails, or if it's just feeding on the ones that have already died. I would put it in my QT, but there are only 2 snails in there and I don't want it killing thise. There are also a bunch of snails in my sump/fuge that I don't want it killing. I'm trying to figure oiut if it's harmful because it's my husband's favorite snail and he doesn't want to take it to an LFS unless it's harmful :)