Caribbean Pistol Shrimp

praisethesun

Hello - thanks for any help in advance.

Why would liveaquaria and Blue Zoo - both online marine live animal retailers - have information about some pistol shrimps being good pairs for a goby, when the forums indicate it is a bad pairing? In their pictures they intermix pictures of Caribbean pistol shrimp with the more standard pistol, yet from what I've read in forums, the Caribbean pistol is not a good pairing for a goby, where the Randalles/candy pistol or the tiger shrimp is.

I now have a Caribbean pistol for going on 24hrs and am a little worried. It doesn't dig, and roams all over the tank and goes to everybody's spot like its his own. This is not the description of its mannerisms when I looked at liveaquarium and Blue Zoo, but now that I have it, I'm reading all of this information about the Caribbean being aggressive, and shooting not only snails, but even fish.

I just set up a quarantine tank - should i get it out of my tank? Does anybody have one? And does it pair?

Thank you
Rob
Caribbean Pistol Shrimp???

Oxylebius

I'd leave it in the main tank. Give it time to settle into the new tank. It may take days up to a week or more to really settle in. See if it will take food that you are offering. W/pairing, that also can take some time and patience on your part. The more you mess with it, the longer it can take for the shrimp to do its thing. Got any updates for us or pictures of it yet, would love to see some pics.

praisethesun

Hello I'm almost sure the shrimp is a Caribbean pistol but it's very interesting and sometimes funny how it throws hermits out for its areas and that seems to be the whole tank. it does seem to be working with goby and doesn't mess with clown fish also active day and night. as of right now I'm watching its relation with the bigger blood shrimp I'm not sure if they're copacetic maybe issue with cleaning goby? anyway I'll give the Caribbean postal a chance but will probably get the Randalls pistol next time.

Attachments

• IMG_5173.JPG
    IMG_5173.JPG
    522.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5157.JPG
    IMG_5157.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 28

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
index.php

w00t

I have one of these in my tank, and as of yet it hasn't paired with any gobies. First week I had him he lived in the rocks, but eventually went down into the sand to dig tunnels. Aside from that he acts just like my tiger pistol, just more timid probably due to being alone.