Cant get calcium up.

jthomps123

My calcium has been stuck at around 340 for quite a while now. I just started adding supplements in the last few months to try and get it up.
For the past few weeks i've been adding Seachem Reef Builder every couple of days and using Buffer 8.3 periodically to keep my alk around 8. But I still cannot get my calcium to climb. I also periodically does a bit of Aragamilk.
I do have quite a large colony of Halimeda in the sump... could this be eating 'that' much calcium? My coralline growth has been pretty good lately...
I have only a few softies and lps.
I use instant ocean salt and API test kits. I do about 10% water changes every couple weeks.
I do not yet have a magnesium test kit... I'm pretty sure I need one.
Thanks for any input.
Jason

prow

mmmmm, reef builder raises alk, so does buffer. so what are you dosing to raise Ca+??

Frankie

RS STAFF
I found the API test kit to be inaccurate. I suggest investing in a salifert kit. I bet if you start useing turbo calcium your ca++ will rise.

mps9506

Yup, Turbo Calcium will bump you calcium up to what you need. but you want to use two part solutions or kalkwasser to maintain it. And like what everyone else said, invest in some quality test kits to make sure your levels are correct.

gettanked

Jason,

Low magnesium will interfere with your ph, alkalinity and calcium.

Did you know that Turbo Calcium has a purity level around (Min) 30% (Max) 40%, read the label.

I have a calcium supplement purity level of (Min) 94% (Max) 97%, you use less and it last you longer and is much cheaper.

Before you start adding a lot of supplements, check your magnesium and adjust.

I recommend a magnesium value of 1350 mg/L.

Magnesium:
(NSW) Natural Seawater Values: 1280 mg/L
Acceptable Rang: 1100 to 1400 mg/L

Good Luck,
Gettanked / Garry

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
purity level around (Min) 30% (Max) 40%, read the label.

Where did you get that from it is nonsense. Kent Turbo Calcium is Anhydrous Calcium Chloride and there is no such thing as Anhydrous Calcium Chloride being 30 - 40 % purity. The most commom is 94% - 97% and very expensive ones are up 99.99 %. You must be looking at their liquid calcium and the 30 - 40 % is RO/DI water mixed with calcium chloride. There is also a dry form of calcium chloride, called Calcium Chloride Dihydrate ( CaCl2 · 2 H2O), which has 20 - 25 % water in it right form the get-go and it has nothing to do with purity. Also, even 94% - 97% does not mean it is good stuff. The question is what is the other 3- 6 % crap in the salt.

Here are some assays of those commonly used in this hobby.

Purity of Calcium Chloride
Chemistry and the Aquarium