Can you help on what a good predator tank might be made of?

Badger84

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could give us an idea of what a good predator tank might be made of. I have a 75g tank and want to make the most informed decision before I buy anything. The species I like are eels, triggers and lions but am open to anything.

What species?
How much rock?
What equipment should I get?
What tank cleaners can I use?
What tank additives I might need?
What if any corals can I put in there?

Cheers,
Alex

Stacef

Do you want to be mixing them, like Triggers with a lion? Is there ONE fish that you really really want, and want to work the tank around him?

Ok, As for Triggers, be careful on mixing them. There are only a handful that can be mixed, and still risk a chance of not getting along. For Triggers I know the Queen, Clown, Undulated, Blueline are all very aggressive. May be fine as juveniles, but are known to get very aggressive when older.

I am not familiar with Eels, but someone else will be able to help you with those I am sure!

As for Lionfish, you would not have to go with the dwarfs your tank will be large enough for ones such as the Volitan. Lionfish like ledges to hide under, and really stay remote, hanging out in one area.

As for equipment, Do you plan on having a sump? Others that know skimmers better will be able to help you out more than I would be able to on this subject.

You ask what kind of Cleaners. I am assuming you are referring to clean up crew? That depends on which fish you are choosing. Most of what you listed will eat most hermits, and inverts.

You also asked what corals you can have. One thing that comes to mind is you can keep a Lionfish with Tangs. The yellow tang is more reef compatible than Triggers. Triggers are on the fence, as are Lions though!

Sorry, I am scattering everything around here! :willis:

Ok--this takes some time, a lot of matching up and such..But check out this chart about the second page down, find your fish, figure out their care and compatibility. The link is below.
Saltwater Aquarium Guide

Wet Web Media is a Great resource when researching fish. Check them out.
Triggers2

After ALL that. Hope I helped!