Can you check out this picture please?

reeffa

Hi Everyone

I bought some yellow polyps a few weeks back and now this has popped up from under the live rock the polyps are on, could any one tell me what it is please??

Im thinking its something that fragged its self to the underside of the live rock but im fairly new new to marine keeping and just want to check this is ok to have in my tank?

Thanks

rocki.gif

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Google this phrase "MAJANO ANEMONE" and see if any of the images are similar to what you have.

reeffa

Yep i think your spot on, thanks.

So are these hard to keep/any threat to what i have?

1 Clarkill clownfish
1 Dartfish
1 Royal gramma
1 Boxer shrimp

1 Leather toadstall
1 Kenya Tree
Colt coral
Yellow polpys

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They are a MUST LEAVE item from your tank. They are VERY prolific and will sting/harm other coral. If left unattended they will over populate the tank and make it very difficult to get the tank cleaned of them.

PIMPALA

+! to what big al said. they are worse than aptasia. get it out, and get it out NOW! Kill it with fire!

PIMPALA

lol. i was being a bit facetious.

kind of. usually scraping them off of a rock is a temporary solution, as they are tough little buggers, and come back to life and grow from a tiny speck of the foot that you accidentally leave.

so a few things i have found to work:

scrape them off, then take a chisel or flat head screwdriver, and chip off a little of the rock where they were.

scrape them off, then put a spot of superglue or epoxy where they were

scrape them off, then burn the area they were with a butane lighter. yes. it really works.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here is a video of what I am "considering" doing to some pests I have in my tank. The only drawback is that I can't justify the cost just yet:

[video=youtube_share;Cbk7mA5PuAQ]http://youtu.be/Cbk7mA5PuAQ[/video]

reeffa

Ok thanks, i think i'll do all 3 if there that hard to rid of as im transferring stock to my a bigger tank this weekend and would like to have a good start with the new tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
WOW!!! Laser?? what kind of laser, and where do i get one???

First off this class/power of laser is VERY dangerous and requires every person in the room to wear the "correct" eye protection for that laser. Some eye protection is only for a very narrow range of laser and some cover a larger variety. Regardless you have to be careful because an accidental "eye shot" would probably result in instant and perm damage.

It's a 1W laser but there are 2W versions coming out now (well not just this minute LOL). If you're looking for a long indepth read (and debate) about this check out
a real aiptasia laser

Luukosian

You 100% sure that is majano? Almost looks like a different type of rock anemone to me.....maybe a clearer photo....

And to Al, I saw that thread about the lasers the other day, looks like a really neat idea. Like you said though, wish the lasers weren't 300$!

landshark

love the laser show, wish i had one to test drive :redcar: , but serious would it be easier to qt the coral until you are able to destroy the pest.

janaya

Just for arguements sake. I wonder if a magnifying glass would work. They are probably safer and cost about a fraction of a laser. They work on ants so why not aiptasia and other pests.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Don't know if it'd work but hats off for trying"!

Matt's DROIDX using Forum Runner since idiots hacked thru tapatalk.

PIMPALA

Just for arguements sake. I wonder if a magnifying glass would work. They are probably safer and cost about a fraction of a laser. They work on ants so why not aiptasia and other pests.

I think the hard part would be getting the sun to shine directly on your tank while you hold the magnifying glass.