Can you add Driftwood to a SW tank?

IXL

As you all know I'm new to this but, I've been crunching really hard on my homework...
Now! with that said, I'm getting really close to doing Aquascaping and I was wondering if I can add driftwood ( yes I'm aware of tannins ) & this might be a dumb question because I can't find any saltwater info.

So the question is ... May I add driftwood after the long process of curing it to a saltwater tank?

Frankie

RS STAFF
If PaulB can keep beer cans in his tank I see no reason why you cannot add wood :D

Types of wood are my concern. I would not add any from the ocean in your area. To many contaminates around northern waters for my liking.

IXL

Thanks Frankie ... I'm not saying I will go for it but, I will like to try things while I have a empty tank & the loss is still Zero.

Frankie

RS STAFF
You could purchase drift wood from a LFS and cure that in a saltwater soup. I would heat the water up, keep it in the dark and hook a skimmer up to it. Just like curing LR. Perform weekly water changes and keep testing the water for nitrates, phosphates and ammonia. Check the water clarity also. If the water turns brownish or yellow then I would discard the wood and try some other types. try and pick out wood that is very hard and bleached out.
You may try also searching out online for mangrove tree branches or other types of woods that grow near or in brackish waters.

IXL

Many thanks again Frankie, your words gave me some key wording to look up! I found this that will lead me to get away from the idea of using driftwood.

On One Hand: Real Dristwood Will Make Your Water Too Acidic
A reef aquarium features saltwater with live corals. Maintaining consistent water quality is key with any saltwater aquarium and, while properly treated driftwood is excellent for freshwater tanks, it can affect the pH balance of a saltwater tank and make it too acidic.

On the Other: Consider Manmade Driftwood

The saltwater in a reef aquarium can dissolve some materials, but there are a number of artificial decorations--including driftwood--made especially for saltwater aquariums. Be sure to check packaging for saltwater compatibility before adding artificial driftwood or any other decoration to your reef aquarium.

Bottom Line
Real driftwood should not be added to a reef aquarium under any circumstances. When decorating your tank, consider options that are specifically designed to be safe in saltwater.

* SOURCE *
Can I put driftwood in a reef aquarium? | Answerbag

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good research :thumbup:
I like the manmade idea though. now that sounds safe enough. Also, you may want to search around for branching rock. Or even consider making your own.