Can I...?

SaltNoob

Use a traditional HOB or internal filter for saltwater tank?
I'd like to convert a 20 long into a salty for 2 clowns and a pep shrimp with a small CUC.

Would I need a skimmer?

Oxylebius

You could use a HOB filter if you wanted to. If you have little to no corals and don't plan to keep anemones, then you can get away without a skimmer, but you have to make sure you are keeping up on weekly water changes. The skimmer is efficient at taking dissolved organics compounds out of the water (the HOB filter won't do this). Keep in mind an increase in organics increases algae. I've run a fish-only tank with something similar to a HOB filter for years (a 40g) but no corals and limited cuc to snails, which was fine. The shrimp may end up working out as well if you add one.

If I had to choose, personally I'd rather have a skimmer and get rid of the HOB filter. I use a HOB filter for my QT, but at the most for only 3-4 months at a time and not long-term (and this works out fine with a small bio-load and weekly water changes).

SaltNoob

The corals I have now are a Xenia and Zoa. Both small.

I wasn't sure if they could hang without a skimmer. But you say possibly?

I would have a fairly light bioload, IMO. But I AM new to this.

RSM 130D is becoming a rattle trap (I MEAN LOOOUUUDDD!) and not sure I'm willing to drop the cash into a rescue project.

Maybe I'll research trying to clean the skimmer pump and outlet pumps with that vinegar/salt/ baking soda recipe I saw.

In your opinion, how long could I run the tank without the skimmer? I've got the RSM replacement pump so water flow shouldn't be a problem?

I've also got a few powerhead I could drop in if need be.
Any thoughts?

Thanks for your reply.

Oxylebius

You have a skimmer? Even though both the corals you mention are fairly hardy as corals go, I'd try to fix the skimmer if you want corals. And if you already have a RSM tank, might as well use it/fix it then go all out on a new tank IMHO. Cleaning all pumps every 6-8 months is good for them to keep them running efficiently and effectively (even a HOB's filter should have regular maintenance done on it).

SaltNoob

You have a skimmer? Even though both the corals you mention are fairly hardy as corals go, I'd try to fix the skimmer if you want corals. And if you already have a RSM tank, might as well use it/fix it then go all out on a new tank IMHO. Cleaning all pumps every 6-8 months is good for them to keep them running efficiently and effectively (even a HOB's filter should have regular maintenance done on it).
Will the fish/CUC/Corals be OK for a 6 hour to overnight stay while I soak and scrub pumps if I'm running a couple small powerhead for circulation?

Oxylebius

As long as you have circulation in the tank, that should be fine.

Make sure to rinse the pump really well of all vinegar solution prior to putting it back in the tank.

I usually use a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and water. Soak for a couple of hours, run the pump in the solution for about an hour and then soak in RODI and run in RODI with a little PRIME to neutralize everything (this might be over kill, but it has worked for me for many years now).

You might find that the noise is from something lodged in the pump. Hopefully a little cleaning will fix it for you.

SaltNoob

As long as you have circulation in the tank, that should be fine.

Make sure to rinse the pump really well of all vinegar solution prior to putting it back in the tank.

I usually use a 50:50 mix of white vinegar and water. Soak for a couple of hours, run the pump in the solution for about an hour and then soak in RODI and run in RODI with a little PRIME to neutralize everything (this might be over kill, but it has worked for me for many years now).

You might find that the noise is from something lodged in the pump. Hopefully a little cleaning will fix it for you.
THANKS OXY!!!

Gonna give it the old college try.

Oxylebius

Thinking about this a little more and the RSM set-up -- Make sure the replacement powerheads reach where ever the heater is. I'm not really sure how you are setting up the replacement pumps, but if you are cleaning all tank pumps at once and the heater is in the back of the RSM tank, make sure the backup pumps are circulating the water where the heat from the heater is still heating the tank.

Running a tank for a few days w/o a skimmer shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't over feeding.

SaltNoob

Thinking about this a little more and the RSM set-up -- Make sure the replacement powerheads reach where ever the heater is. I'm not really sure how you are setting up the replacement pumps, but if you are cleaning all tank pumps at once and the heater is in the back of the RSM tank, make sure the backup pumps are circulating the water where the heat from the heater is still heating the tank.

Running a tank for a few days w/o a skimmer shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't over feeding.
Could I just place the heater in the main tank for a few hours and position a powerhead to push through it?

SaltNoob

Ok, so I'm doing the joker, smoker, midnight soaker and I noticed that the heater doesn't appear to be be working.
Can I use any submersible heater in a RSM 130D?

SaltNoob

Alright, heater DOES appear to be working upon further inspection and fiddlin'.
Pumps soaked for 2 hours and came out GORGEOUS!
The skimmer was the LOUD so i scoured the Web and someone told me to drill a hole in the collection cup and run the air intake tubing through, so I did.
Cut down the noise quite a bit.

However, while everything is running smoothly and quietly. ..
One of the pumps is spitting out MILLIONS of teeny tiny teensy weeny bubbles
Should I be concerned with this?

Thanks for all the help so far, peeps!

SaltNoob

How cold do You think the water will be with out the heater ? Might not need it.
With spring and summer pretty much upon us here on the west coast, I would say the temp would probably hover in the mid 60s..

The heater was set on 80. But the water is NOT that warm.

Ideas on temp I should shoot for?

I'm housing 2 clowns, a blue damsel, a pajama, a pep shrimp, a mex turbo and some hermits.

Also a small Xenia and small zoa.

SaltNoob

on the microbubbles... check out this thread... on 130D the key is consistent high water levels, skimmer cup height

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/microbubbles-in-your-rsm-check-here.38826/
Intetesting link. Thanks. I'm going to look into some of those possible solutions. The bubbles seem to be subsiding a bit but still rocking.

Any dangers involved here, in your experience, nano?

Also, my skimmer cup doesn't seem to float with the water level. Should it?

Dracko

I did for a long time. First you have to insure that you will change filters regularly. Second, I highly recommend adding a protein skimmer. Does not need to be an expensive one for a tank this size. I recommend a Lees medium. Cheap, yet efficient. Regular water changes and very good water supply. If you don't do these things you will most likely run into problems. The low water volume becomes your enemy, and it is the things you cannot see that will get you. So, one more thing....test weekly. You may find that after the tank establishes itself you can forget the HOB filter and just use the skimmer.

Dracko

The corals I have now are a Xenia and Zoa. Both small.

I wasn't sure if they could hang without a skimmer. But you say possibly.

I would not. The skimmer will do a better job than the HOB. Lees makes one that is about $30 that will do well for a small tank like this. Check on e-bay. The HOB can build up waste that it cannot filter out of the water. I would only use that until the tank is established.

Dracko

With spring and summer pretty much upon us here on the west coast, I would say the temp would probably hover in the mid 60s..

The heater was set on 80. But the water is NOT that warm.

Ideas on temp I should shoot for?

I'm housing 2 clowns, a blue damsel, a pajama, a pep shrimp, a mex turbo and some hermits.

Also a small Xenia and small zoa.
76-82 is best. The fish might acclimate, but the shrimp and corals wont like it cooler than that.

StirCrayzy

I'm still amazed people think its not possible to grow corals successfully without a skimmer.....
Higher nutrient load does not equate to dead corals, higher likelihood of algae, yeah probably, but plenty successful. No need to worry about a skimmer being off for extended periods...
Off my soapbox now , good luck SaltNoob!

cracker

Stir I agree with You. early last Year I tank was full of HA and bubble .my corals looked just fine. I went on a mission to rid the tank of said algea. Now the ha and bubble are about gone, but I have this nasty ghost stuff and my corals look terrible. I should have left it alone. High nutrients don't equal dead corals. At least in my case.