can i use API super ich in the DT containing live rocks

Re: Curing Fish of Marine Ich

Lee,

can i use API super ich in the DT containing live rocks, feather dusters, star fish, snails, cleaner shrimps and cucumbers.

Thnx
W Swailem
from Cairo Egypt

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Lee,

can i use API super ich in the DT containing live rocks, feather dusters, star fish, snails, cleaner shrimps and cucumbers.

Thnx
W Swailem
from Cairo Egypt

I'm afraid you wont like the reply to that question...

Here is an exert from Lee's thread

Marine Ich -Myths and Facts

Treatments:

1. Hyposalinity - Using a refractometer, hold salinity at 11ppt to 12ppt until 4 weeks after the last spot was seen. (Best to use salinity, but if you use specific gravity, that equates to roughly 1.008 to 1.009 sp. gr. units). Raise salinity slowly and observe fish for 4 more weeks. Hard to control pH and water quality during treatment. This is the least stressful treatment for the fish. See: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/23131-hyposalinity-treatment-process.html

2. Copper treatment - Follow medication recommendations. Can be effective in 2 to 4 weeks of treatment. After treatment, remove all copper and observe fish for 4 more weeks. Copper is a poison to the fish and creates some stress. The fish may stop eating. See end of this post for other things that can go wrong. See: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/saltwater-fish/23130-copper-treatment-use-problems.html

3.. Transfer method - Fish is moved from tank to tank to separate the fish from the cysts that fall off and the free-swimming stages of the parasite. Two hospital tanks are needed to perform this treatment. The fish is stressed by having to keep moving it between these hospital tanks.

4. Only the above 3 known cures work almost 100% of the time. Other chemicals will kill the MI parasite, but only in special conditions (not good for the fish) or in lab experiments (not using marine fish). Some chemicals will only kill some of the organisms, letting the others escape death to go on to multiply and infect.

5. Not any of the treatments can be done in a display tank with true live rock. Must be done in a hospital tank or quarantine tank. The hyposalinity and the copper treatment would kill invertebrates, live rock, and other non-fish marine life. Substrates and carbonates interfere with a copper treatment. Use artificial SAFE decorations in the QT.

6. No known ‘reef-safe’ remedies work consistently. Many aquarists think a particular remedy works when in fact the fish acquire an immunity or defense against the parasite. It’s easy for any manufacturer to have an independent study done on the effectiveness of the ‘reef-safe’ remedy but they don’t because. . .

7. Cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasses are not known to pick these parasites off of fish. (See 10. above).

8. Freshwater dips can kill some of the parasites on/in the fish, but not all of them because many of the parasites are protected by the fish's skin and mucous layer. (See 10. above).

9. No dip can get rid of these parasites because primarily of 10. above.

10. Let aquarium go fishless (without any foreign saltwater additions (e.g., water from LFS system, water from another tank or system -- use only distilled or RO/DI for evaporation and freshly made, uncontaminated salt water for water changes), without contamination from infected tanks, live rock additions, etc.) for at least 8 weeks and the tank will be free of MI. This 'fallow period' has over a 99.9% chance of success.

11. NEVER combine a copper treatment with a hyposalinity treatment. In hyposaline solutions it is hard to control pH. When pH fluctuates (down) the copper present can be lethal to marine fishes. When using certain complexed copper medications, like Cupramine, the two can be used together with greater safety. However I strongly advise even doing this. During a hyposalinity treatment, it is hard to control the pH. The buffering ability of the water is very weak, so pH shifts are very easy. In the presence of a copper medication, a sudden drop in pH can cause copper poisoning to the fish. BOTH the copper and hyposalinity treatment poses some stress to the fish. Should they have to endur both? Just choose one and do it properly. Follow the process to make the determination on the way you want to treat the infected fish, found here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/52236-curing-fish-marine-ich.html

thanks a lot BigAl

ok, i am quarantining now can i use Furan 2 or general cure by API in the same time with super ich??

thnx

leebca

I don't know what Super Ich is or contains. Regarding how to use it or what it may affect, contact the manufacturer by e-mail. Perhaps a beneficial response is in the first post:

I've written this more than a hundred times and I'll write it again (last time I hope) here: The marine food fish industry loses millions of Dollars each year to Marine Ich. IF a fast, safe (for all marine life forms and the fish being cured), completely reliable, and easy cure was found, it would be on the front pages of aquaculture magazines around the world -- there would be a few dozen or more technical papers written on the new cure -- the cure would even be on the news. Guess what? It hasn't happened. Those reef safe products you see advertised don't do the job all the time even when they contain chemicals the parasite doesn't like. They are the short cuts I mentioned above -- they are not real. And as far as 'reef safe' goes -- since there is no standard for this statement, many of these products do (selectively) kill your reef marine livestock. Be realistic. Do you think the makers of those products have tested it on everything?

You need to decide on the REAL cure to use. There are two basic ones guaranteed to cure your fish: a copper treatment or a hyposalinity treatment. DON’T ask which one to use. Either works. Decide on which one you are most comfortable doing. Read about each cure so you can understand what each requires you to do. Choose the one you can handle best. In order to decide, read these two posts:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...-problems.html
and
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...t-process.html

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I split this out from the STICKY thread so it gets the attention it needs without making the original sticky to muddy...