Can I re-used my LIGHTING for my tank upgrade???

OHreefer

I currently have a 40gal long and later this year I'm upgrading to either a 75 or 90 gallon to go in a newly finished basement where the wall will be cut out to display the tank :jumprope: My question is, can I reuse my lighting? I currently use a Catalina Aquariums T5 with 2 actinics and 2 10K bulbs, for a total of 216W.

So currently, my tank is 48" x 12" x 16"
And the new tank will either be 48" x 18" x 21" (75g) or 48" x 18" x 24" (90g)

The corals I have are listed in my signature. Can I reuse my light fixture??? Or would I need supplemental lighting?

Please advise! :tennis:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You could use that fixture and maybe get another like it if you want higher light corals.

mpwolken

You are in a sweet spot with that size tank for lighting fixture availability. I think however, that a 4-bulb T5 system is going to be insufficient for keeping anything other than softies. I'd be using 2x 250W halides on your new system.

r2d2

I have same fixture over my 75 and also have very similar corals. Maybe you wont be able to have a Nem or high demanding light corals but I in my opinion it would be enough for most LPS and some SPS if you find right placement.
A huge difference is to upgrade your stock bulbs. Right now I've just change 1 10K for a Giesemann Aquablue and is quite a difference is my corals colors and size. IM waiting for an ATI bulbs order to arrive to change my other 3 stock bulbs.

Greetings

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You are in a sweet spot with that size tank for lighting fixture availability. I think however, that a 4-bulb T5 system is going to be insufficient for keeping anything other than softies.

Did you see his coral stocking list? :dunno:

IMHO those lights will suffice for that stocking list. Add some supplementation and you'll be able to add some higher light loving coral. Catalina is a good fixture with IDR's so that's a huge plus.

As r2d2 pointed out bulb selection will go a long way to making improvements.

OHreefer

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't plan on keeping anything but softies. Actually, I'm coming up on the time to change my bulbs, so maybe I'll slowly upgrade my bulbs. Where is a good place to buy some good bulbs? I have 2, 54W actinic and 2, 54W 10K bulbs.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LED fixtures are superexpensive aren't they? I don't know much about them. Do the bulbs last a long time?

They are expensive that's for sure. But if you look long-term they may end up costing less.

Bulb life (length of time they degrade below 70% of intensity) is estimated to be around +50,000 hours.

A) If you burn your lights at 10hrs a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year you should get around 13.7 years of life out of the bulbs per manufacturer specs. That's IF everything goes perfect (and it will right?).

B) If you burn your lights at 12hrs a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year you should get around 11.45 years of life out of the bulbs per manufacturer specs. That's IF everything goes perfect (and it will right?).

C)
If you burn your lights at 8hrs a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year you should get around 17.1 years of life out of the bulbs per manufacturer specs. That's IF everything goes perfect (and it will right?).

My office tank is running 9hrs/day so I should get 15.26 years from this unit. Fortunately CoD gave me (well it was implied but same difference right) a 12 year no questions asked 100% replacement and repair warranty/guarantee on my unit :D (and I'm kidding.. this is cutting edge technology here). :LOL:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly it's the up-front cost *Sticker Shock* that is tough to swallow. If you factor in long-term savings you usually come out ahead. This will only get better as technology improves and prices come down more.