can i keep a clam with this lighting?

molsen187

as the title suggests i was wondering if i could do a clam with my lights. i have 4 54w t5ho bulbs. they each have reflectors. the tank is a 55g-standard footprint, can't remember how deep it is off the top of my head. i've read to use 4w per gallon as a rule. i have 216w and 4x55 is 220 so do i have enough. i'm still in the preliminary stages of planning for a clam so i figured i should start with the lighting. i know some clams are more forgiving of lighting than others. any help or advice would be appreciated.

framerguy

I don't think that is enough but someone more knowledgeable will chime in. Clams need lots of intense light and I know it can be done with T5's but I don't think you have enough of them. If you had six bulbs I would say yes for sure. With four...it's iffy.

molsen187

thanks, i can't fit 6 over the 55g. i've been told i may be able to do a derasa clam. from what i've read its suggested to do have about 4w per gallon for the clam. i have 216w and 4wx55 is 220 so i'm close if you go by that rule. it won't be going into the tank for awhile i'm just doing preliminaries now. it wouldn't be for a couple of months when my tank is more stable. i'm asking for some lights for christmas so hopefully i'll get them and have plenty of light by the time i get the clam.

BigJay

imo you have plenty. I have a maxima 28" 's from my T5's and its growing extremely well. Just keep your water quality as perfect as possible and use good bulbs and I think you'll have great success.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
molsen187.... watts per gallon = beat_dead_horse :whip:

It's the QUALITY of light not how many watts. Watts only tell you how much ELECTRICITY you're burning and really nothing more. I was pushing 130W into a 10g system (that's in excess of 13 W-P-G) and I still couldn't keep a CLAM or Anemone because it was PC lights....

When you say you're "asking for new lights for Christmas" do you mean new BULBS or do you mean new fixture?

Regardless here is what I suggest:

• A) Use the BEST bulbs you can. Stick with name brand T5's like ATI, UVL Giessemann. Use bulbs HIGH in PAR value to get the most bang from the bulbs.
  • B) If you're getting a new fixture consider getting one (or DIYing) one that you can Over-Drive the bulbs. Going from 54w to 80w is a significant increase.
  • C) As suggested maintain OPTIMUM water quality. This helps the animal health wise.
  • D) While maintaining water QUALITY you want to pay attention to water CLARITY! Tainted, Dingy, dirty water kills light penetration and you'll want every bit you can penetrating to the bottom of the tank.
  • E) Be diligent with "Lens/Shield" cleaning. It's ironic how much even a small amount of Salt Spray will kill your light output. Clean it religiously!!

molsen187

thats pretty much what i've been seeing in other threads i've been reading al. it seems to me that i'm going to have to upgrade my lighting. i hope to do this around christmas time which would be the earliest i would be able to put a clam in anyway.i plan on getting a whole new fixture i like the one i have but it could be better. i figured it would be best to start learning now so i can make the upgrades i need to be able to keep one down the road.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If possible you can do DIY and save some coinage yet still have a kick a$$ system....

molsen187

yeah i'm not much of a dyi but i could look into it. i can do some things and i know a lot of people that could prolly help me with it. thanks for the advice everyone.

molsen187

now right now i have an odyessa fixture which i know is not the best, which is why i'm upgrading. can i fit any ati or geissman bulb in the fixture or would i have to buy bulbs from odyessa which i don't want to do.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think a T5 DIY could be a simple thing of your canopy can handle it. That's probably one of your best routes too if you're willing ot do the work.

As far as "bulbs" .... as long as it's a T5 fixture you should be able to put any brand of standard T5 bulbs into it....

molsen187

i was cleaning the light guard thing today and i tried to pull it out so i could clean the inside too and it seems pretty stuck. any advice how to get it unstuck. would vinegar work? i tried using plyers to pull it out but wasn't able to so i'm open to any and all ideas.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
i was cleaning the light guard thing today and i tried to pull it out so i could clean the inside too and it seems pretty stuck. any advice how to get it unstuck. would vinegar work? i tried using plyers to pull it out but wasn't able to so i'm open to any and all ideas.

My shields on my Current fixture do that if I go more than a couple of weeks without removing and cleaning them. What I do it turn the fixture over (upside down) and use a squirt bottle to spray water all along the groove on both sides of each shield. I let it sit about 5 minutes then do it again. Wait about 10 minutes and they usually slide right out. Once I have them out I clean them thoroughly and then clean the shield track completely. Now I pull it out and do this every other week.

Good luck and HAPPY CLEANING :)

molsen187

rhodes that is a great link. i've read it before. al thanks for the advice i'll try that and hopefully it works.