Can I get with my lights?

Couch

Just wanted some input here. I have the coralife lunar 48" light fixture on my 40 gallon long tank. 2x65 watt 10,000K and 2x65 watt actinics. What are your opinions on if and what kind of anemone would like my set up? I really like the rose BTA's.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How old is the tank? How long have the water params been rock solid stable (I'm assuming they are rock solid now). Remember you're running PC lights and most of our anemone's are fairly HIGH light loving animals. Indeed you do have lot's of watts (rhyme every time :lol:) but they aren't high intensity lights.

Allen :)

Couch

Yes they are PC's, that is why I am asking opinnions. Tank up and running for about 10 months. Water stability stable to the point I only test about once every 2-3 weeks now. No measurments changing anymore. Dosing with kalk every night. Nitrates about 5 ppm or less. What do you all think? Could my lights and nitrates support a rose BTA?

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I would have to say I would try you are taking about 260 Watts which is to little light for anenomes to survive most of the time

HowardW

That light setup is probably at the low end of what a Rose BTA would like. If it's placed at the top and the lights are within 3-5" of the water it may work, but it may also lose its color and become stringy and expanded which are all signs of insufficient light. The Coralife 65W bulbs are also not the best IMO.

michael_cb_125

I have a tank setup for sps. I have two 250w MHs and six 54 watt HO T5s. I just got rid of a few lights. the anemone I had always moved around looking for more light. Even when he was right under the MH he wanted more. Anemones love light, and the RBTAs need allot more light than many people think.

Couch

OK, well I need to buy new bulbs. Been running for about 9 months now. Is there a better 65 watt PC bulb brand or type(meaning 10K, 14K, 50/50) that would be better than the rest?