Can anyone identify this critter?

Stuart1962

Can anyone identify this critter? Some kind of sea slug, don't know if it's harmful or not.

DSCF5837_zpsdd8a5bd3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Google Black Doris (Dendrodoris nigra) and compare those images/descriptions to what you have in your tank. A clearer picture from different angles would help but I suspect that is what you have in your tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If that ID is correct it's really only harmful to sponges as that is really all they eat. They usually don't live long in our tanks partly for that reason.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Could be a Scutus sp. Catch it and positively identify it if you can.
I'm not saying it can't be Scutus sp. but I've yet to see one with the red line around the perimeter like the one in Stuart's picture. That was my main clue to ID it as Dendrodoris nigra because they often (not always of course) have the red perimeter line.

I don't think I would take it out unless it's a small tank. Odds are when it "Expires" if your tank is stable and healthy it will just go back into the food chain. Now if we're talking about a smaller tank (say 12g) I'd probably take it out and possibly trade it at the LFS.

Mike Johnson

Your eyes or computer resolution must be better than mine, BigAl. I'm not saying get rid of it, but I've learned the hard way. Don't take pictures when you see something unidentified, catch it, put it in a specimen container, then take pictures. Memories of a polyclad flatworm that I took pictures of, then quickly retreated under the sand bed and continued to kill snails for years comes to mind.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Mike I can agree with you in regards to missing an opportunity to get rid of a pest. When in doubt yank it out.

But on my monitor (and it could be an anomaly as well) it has a distinct and defined red line around the perimeter.