Came home to a Disaster

Kovu

Well I have been on the road for 3 month long golf trip, which I had a great time made a lot of friends. Anyways the first thing I see is my tank filled with green and cyano algae. All of my lps corals dead my montipora bleached and my fish looking bad. Apparently my friends and parents didnt do a water change at all while I was gone. Also my rodi unit is broken now so I need to get a new one.:( What should I do to get back on track I am really down in the dumps right now took a year to get my tank finally looking like a reef tank and now it is all gone.

jpsika08

Sorry for that :(

First thing I would do is scrape off algae and cyano as best as possible and do a major water change, maybe a 30 - 50%.
Also, watch if the fish don't present any disease as Ich, if so, maybe a good time for a QT tank.

PIMPALA

i bet that they were topping off with tap water, and thats what caused all the problems.

Kovu

Okay I will work on the glass and it will be at least a week before my rodi unit comes in. All the fish are disease free but feeding some garlic guard to help. Thanks for the quick replies.

Willie McDaries

they are removing like 75% of the bad water,then doing a 50% water change in the remaining water,then doing another 50% water change in the remaining water and refilling with new water.....the critters are only experiencing a 50% change each time,then the tank is refilled with new water...it's a rapid nitrate reduction process that doesn't shock the inhabitants as much as just draining out 75% of the water and refilling with new water + it will lower the nitrates much more efficiently than just doing small water changes every day...hope that makes sense :D

Kovu

they are removing like 75% of the bad water,then doing a 50% water change in the remaining water,then doing another 50% water change in the remaining water and refilling with new water.....the critters are only experiencing a 50% change each time,then the tank is refilled with new water...it's a rapid nitrate reduction process that doesn't shock the inhabitants as much as just draining out 75% of the water and refilling with new water + it will lower the nitrates much more efficiently than just doing small water changes every day...hope that makes sense :D

Okay I think I got it, so lets say you have a 10 gallon tank you take out 6 gallons. Then you take 2 gallons out and then after that another 2 gallons. Would you do this all at once or over some time.

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I interpreted that as all at once, but after you take out the two gallons, you add two gallons to take out two gallons to add...

You're basically just diluting the remaining organics and nutrients.

Kovu

Yea I finally got it after watching that animation for half an hour. Now I just need my rodi unit to start doing it.

Kovu

Had another question do I have to do such a big one at first I just dont have the room put 200+ gallons in the garage.

Robzilla

The bigger the better. The more junk leaving your tank, the better off your inhabitants will be in recovery. Going throught a crash myself.

Robzilla

Containers/unused trash cans. GIMMITO on here used a 300g rubbermaid tub/baby pool to mix 300g for his system.