Calcium Reactor

Dennis7

Mary,
I use an Advanced Reef Technologies, K2R CA Reactor. I am very pleased with it.
True, CA reactors are an expensive initial cost, but in the long run will come out cheaper on large tanks. They do keep the water stable after you get them dialed in. It may take a couple of weeks to do, but once you get what is need for your systems requirements, they keep it stable.
For one reactor being better than another is hard to say. I believe any reactor will work on the system capacity it was designed for. I know some people don't use or think it necessary to have a pH controller, but I believe it's a must for a reactor.

Mary

Evil Angel
Thanks Dennis for the info! I do plan on purchasing the PH monitor too. I did get a weekend holiday sale email from Premium Aquatics and they have 20% off some of the stock for this weekend. Of course the Geo wasn't one of the items on sale and they are out of stock on it right now but you can get on a waiting list for it.
Maxx, I'm not sure where you plan on buying yours, let me know if you find any savings anywhere. I'll be shopping around comparing.

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
I am humbled as the New kid on the block for reactors that you fine folks have already heard of me!

As for reactors, I will tell you, the absolute best way to run a reef aquarium is the use a kalk and calcium reactor no matter where you get your units from!

Just remember once you have them hooked up and running, don't go cussing at me because you have to scrape corralline almost daily!!!!

It is all about getting the Calcium reactor dialed in properly. pH controllers as has been mentioned previously are a god send, but a good pH probe is something that will make your life a lot easier if you cannot afford the controller!

My personal school of thought is once you have a calcium reactor dialed in, you do not need any further additives besides kalk to make your pH rock steady.

If you have questions or need advice on setting them up or running them, I am here to help. I do not post too much, but I do go through streaks, I am mainly a lurker!
Patrick

Maxx

Patrick,
I'm curious about the length of time the Kalkwasser is good for in the Kalk reactor. How often must the Kalk be replaced in the combo Calcium reactor and Kalk reactor unit? I understand that the system itself will dictate amounts by its occupants requirements, (ie heavy population of calcium dependant animals will use more than a smaller population..), but what can a "normal" system expect to use.
(Note to Mods....I'm asking these questions here rather than PM because Patrick has posted his status as the owner operator in his signature, and wasnt the one to advertise his product here, a satisfied customer was. If it doesnt violate the user agreement regarding commercial posts, I would like it if he were able to answer these questions publicly. If it does violate the agreement to do that, I will understand and will contact one of the Mods for clarification and instruction on how to post answers/ responses of this nature w/o violating the users agreement. Thank you.)

Since the design of this combo unit is new and unorthadox I'm curious about a couple of things. Is this just two seperate reactors placed together on one mount working in conjunction, or is this a system in which neither piece can work w/o each other?
I know that Geo has been making reactors for awhile, so he has built a name and reputation of quality to back his products, (it also doesnt hurt that he is a member of this board and its predecessor and contributed in general conversations and topics of interest other than reactors etc....not so subtle hint....;) )
and since I honestly hadnt previously heard of your products prior to this thread, I dont know anything about them. What sort of warranty do you provide w/ your products? I hope this doesnt come off as rude, I'm asking from the viewpoint of a potential customer. I had pretty much decided on a Geo reactor, but have also been leaning towards getting a Kalk reactor too. Your combo unit would nicely take care of both of those for me, at a nice price too.
What do think of the build quality Johnny??? Is this something you would reccommend to someone else?
Thank you taking the time to answer my questions,
Nick

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well I can say the cal reactor I got from Stoneyreef is as good as it gets! Very well put together and hope to have it up and running when I can get all that I need to operate it!:)

StoneyReef

No Longer a Member
OK, well I read the user agreement very thourougly before placing the above post, and actually there is nothing in there about commercial posts. With that in mind though, I try to use my good judgement.

Theoretically, the kalk would be 'good' for an infinate amount of time depending upon the amount of dissolved CO2 in your RO/DI water. I do however,suggest that about monthy, the reactor is drained and refilled. Then again, using ESV brand kalk, I get almost totaly dissolution. So then that does not become a problem. I will tell you that I do put a john guest shut off valve on the input of the reactor so you can easily change out the check valve line and rinse the reactor out. Plus it is made even easier with the lid being CNC cut with key holes. So I do suggest if your not using a very high quality kalk like ESV that you turn off the valve, remove the feed line, insert a drain line and pour some water in to rinse out the bottom of the reactor. In summation, add kalk monthly if using a good kalk, or rinse and add kalk monthly if using pickling lime or such.

The combo reactor is essentially two separate reactors using the same base. They were designed for both beginning reef keepers and the experienced alike, and people who are on tighter budgets. The base is 17" long by 7" wide, which when set perpendicular in a decent size stand, it can sit next to a sump and take up relatively little space but still use the verticle space. It also maximizes some space, as the mixing pump for the kalk side, sits beneath the flanges of the two reactors. Once you start filling a stand you realize every couple inches help! We all know by the discussions held that the absolute best way to run a reef tank is by running a kalk and a calcium reactor together. Thus this is a great way to do it in a confined space. Additionally the reason it works for a person on a budget, is because you can run them separately. So initially they can just inexpensively set up the kalk side as their tank matures and grows and the kalk reactor cannot keep up by evaporative dosing you can then bring the calcium reactor online once they have saved enough to get the CO2 system. This makes the huge investment of a Calcium reactor able to be worked into a budget over time and thus more easily.

As for Geo's stuff, when I was a newbie, I was in awe of his stuff, I had seen it on several peoples tanks. It was awesome stuff!!!!!! I drooled over his stuff. Then came the time when I needed either a kalk or calcium reactor and I decided on kalk. Geo does not advertise that he makes one. No one made a commercial kalk reactor at the time except for the aquamedic one. And I was not about to spend that much money on a kalk reactor. So I made one. A few people saw it and wanted one. That was back in the PVC/acrylic hybrid days. I then aquired a small CNC mill that can do a flange at a time, and then people really loved them. So I had a shop do large runs, and as the business grew, so did my purchasing power. So finally with a large enough order, cast acrylic became a more reasonable price point, and several product revisions and design upgrades we ended up with an awesome kalk reactor. I use a bench jointer to joint and finish the ends of the tubes before solvent welding, and use weldon #4. Much better seams compared to weldon 3# which just works way too fast. I have just recently started using weldon #4052 for some of the acrylic to acrylic to CPVC joints. Such as pump mounts. Where the acrylic tube welds to the main body tube, but yet welds the cpvc elbow to the out side of the main tube as well for a double seal just in case.

Then one day a close friend wanted me to build them a calcium reactor. Several revisions later we had a decent calcium reactor. BTW, dual 6" tubes on a 3/8" base means it is going to leak from the flex in the bottom!!!! you need a thicker base!!! LOL! Anyhow, i remember the day I threw that beast into the dumpster.

The combo reactor was born one day by feminine inspiration. The girlfriend at the time took a look at my tank and went, "that looks like a science experiment gone wrong." So I sat there and stewed on doing a combo reactor. Then one day someone gave me a prod, and the combo was born.

Guarantee? Guaranteed not to leak and perform as designed. However, if you hook a reactor up to 40lbs of house hold pressure and you expect it to hold together for more than a few minutes, well then uh, that was a pretty cool little explosion! Believe me, it happened! That is why I mention on the site and so forth that you should feed them from a reservoir or with a dosing pump. If you HAVE to have your RO unit hooked up to your tank without 15 bazillion back ups on it, then make sure a solenoid is placed BEFORE the reactor so it does not have all that pressure on it!

As for discussions, perhaps you would like to see my 46bow front with dual 400watt radiums over it? Yeah, I am a little bit crazy!!!!

Or how about an awesome friend's sps tank that is a 58 oceanic with a CA return pump, single 250 watt ushio and a kalk reactor!!!! Now that is one awesome looking tank! And his clam takes up 1/3 of it, it is soo huge!
I have been around the block, and had tanks crash, and so forth, I tend to stay away from a lot of the reocurring questions like, help i have a brown film, or where can i get cheap live rock, as if I continually answered those questions I would become a cranky old man!

I additionally help out Dirk, of Dirks store here in Minnesota. he has dry goods stacked to the ceiling, and ships in live corals and clams, so I know that side of the business as well. I think I have a pretty well rounded outlook on it all. So you generally will not see me take too many wild leaps except until you ask me about my LFS! $25 for a one inch bulkhead is just plain old highway robbery. Also if you want to sit and chat about tanks, I do that way too much too! That is if you an catch me with a bit of time.

I do this part time, like most of us hobby businesses, so I do have a day job!

Dang, I just got done feeling like I did a product roll out in aquarium fish magazine!!!!!! I hope that gives you an idea of my philosophies, a little company history, personality, and answers some of your questions. If it was over the top, then mods, please edit as you see fit.
Regards,
Patrick

Maxx

Patrick
Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. you certainly went out of your way to explain all of that for all of us and I appreciate it.
initially they can just inexpensively set up the kalk side as their tank matures and grows and the kalk reactor cannot keep up by evaporative dosing you can then bring the calcium reactor online once they have saved enough to get the CO2 system. This makes the huge investment of a Calcium reactor able to be worked into a budget over time and thus more easily.
Thats cool, I hadnt thought of it in those lines...makes sense and makes your product even more reasonable for first timers.
Guarantee? Guaranteed not to leak and perform as designed. However, if you hook a reactor up to 40lbs of house hold pressure and you expect it to hold together for more than a few minutes, well then uh, that was a pretty cool little explosion!
Sorry bout that, I should have clarified...Naturally I wouldnt expect the manufacturer of any product to replace something that was damaged due to misuse by the purchaser....however in todays society you REALLY have to state your position clearly, like you did...its all about CYA these days.
As for discussions, perhaps you would like to see my 46bow front with dual 400watt radiums over it? Yeah, I am a little bit crazy!!!!
Actually I would love to! That sounds pretty cool. Again I owe you an apology. The comment in regard towards discussions was due to a manufacturer @ a previous website that we all belonged to. The manufacturer came into a thread that was being discussed about a competitors brand, and started bashing his competitors product in an Alarmist /Chicken Little The-sky-is-falling sort of manner. All kinds of silliness was started, and someone else sorta exposed him for what he was. The Mods had to get involved, and one of the things they requested of the manufacturer in question was that he post replies to discussions other than his product. I was merely trying to avoid a similar situation here. I hope that makes sense and that I didnt offend. It wasnt my intent.
I hope that gives you an idea of my philosophies, a little company history, personality, and answers some of your questions.
Actually it did. Once again I greatly appreciate the time you spent answering my questions. To be honest w/ you, before this thread, I hadnt heard of you. So now I have some more options available for my upcoming 58 gallon oceanic.
BTW, post some pics of your tank...we'd all love to see them.
Nick

Maxx

Oh hey, Johnny,
Thanks for the reply as well....always nice to hear from someone who is a satisfied customer.
Nick

Maxx

Mike,
I saw a reply from you concerning this thread, and now its gone?
I wanted to say thank you for allowing it to stand based your reasoning, Patricks response and the fact that you implied he was trying to become a sponsor....
But its gone.....
So uh, anyway...Thank you...and uh....I apreciate it....and uh, ...yeah, thats all...
Nick

Curtswearing

A lot of the RS policies aren't quite decided yet but will be shortly.

Patrick has been mostly informational thus far. As a result, Mike decided to pull his post until the policies are fully defined.

We are sorry for the confusion....you were given the option of hanging out on other boards or posting knowing that there were bugs and policy decisions to make.

It is clear what decision all of you you made.....please be patient while policy decision's are made.

Maxx

Curt,
I was pretty sure that this was going to be the case. I did try and structure my questions in a manner that would give him room to answer w/o turning this into a commercial post. I think he did a good job of it. I apologize if it violates any intended (non written) agreements on comercial posts, I'm the one who got things going in that regard. Patrick was just saying thank you on a previous post.
I know you guys (Mods) work hard and have lots going on right now. I think you guys are all doing a great job, we all understand that things are still in flux regarding how the board will operate when finished.
Nick

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Sorry Maxx I made a decission that pat's posting was fine as the posting was being done, BUT I did this with out consulting other mods or the admins. After making the post I felt a little bad about doing that and thus removed the post. my bad.

On a personal note: lol
Patrick I am proud of you boy, lol. Its all good folks RS is a board founded on information and good personal relationships. Nothing in this thread I believe excedes those two things.
Lets talk some more.

MIke

Maxx

Good to know...
Thaks again to you Mods...I know y'all are up to your eyeballs in things that need a response right-this-very-now...so for you guys to give this an okay and the personal attention that you have means alot.
I appreciate it,
Nick

ReefLady

Staff member
No worries is right, this place is all about the sharing of information, what better place to get informatuion about a product than from the person who makes it?

I know a few people now in "the business" and it's sad that they all begin feeling uncomfortable posting at all because there's always that watchful eye since "they're commerical." Rock on Patrick, please share information and participate, we can count on you not to post solely for the purpose of advertising your product. Thanks for sharing your expertise in the field.

Travis