Calcium/Alk are High

jgking21

Run Down:

Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 81 (drops to about 78 before lights come on)
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <5
Calcium: 500
Alk: 14

Used Refractometer and API Test Kit (doesn't have magnesium).

What can be done to low Calcium/Alk? I thought Alk would be low if Ca is high?

I did add some calcium with a water change a few days ago. Weekly water changes of 10 gallons on a 54 gallon tank with sump. My dosing was small compared to what I typically do in my 25 gallon. I use Oceanic Salt. I have one Monit Cap that has a few white spots, almost like salt creep burned it, but I don't have any salt creep that could have done that. Any advice is appreciated, any more info needed just ask!

Thank You!

Mods feel free to relocate if needed.

Most salt mixes contain calc. You should never dose unless you were low in the first place. Most people dose if they have LPS eating up calc. Some people simply do lot's of water changes to keep cal up. Only way I know to lower alk is water change. Was that a dkh 14?

jgking21

Browntrout, Yes that was a dkh of 14.

BigAl, don't know what it was before, i just got the test kit yesterday.

I won't be dosing again, I know that much now! I used to dose my 25 all the time with no ill effects, but than again I never tested that tank so I don't know what the result would have been. I pretty much wanted to keep the calcium up cause I'm adding SPS's all the time.

Browntrout, Yes that was a dkh of 14.

BigAl, don't know what it was before, i just got the test kit yesterday.

I won't be dosing again, I know that much now! I used to dose my 25 all the time with no ill effects, but than again I never tested that tank so I don't know what the result would have been. I pretty much wanted to keep the calcium up cause I'm adding SPS's all the time.

Good rule of thumb to follow is "never dose anything you are not testing"
500 calc isn't that bad. Do a water change and your alk should drop. But I wouldn't sweat having 500 for calc right away.

BobBursek

Not a dangerios situation, what salt are you using? I use API for Alk and Ca an accurate test kit for those and easy to use. You should get a Mg test kit, Elos is very accurate and easy to use, or Seilefet, Red Sea is terrible. Temps are OK, that is some what normal with lights on and off, in the innner reef, that changes, outer reef the ocean keeps it more constant, swimming in Jamaca, inner reef beech area, a fresh water river flowed into it, water was cooler there, and in hind site, after having a SW tank, the SG was less there then the ocean, corales, you have do your home work, which side of the reef and the depth they live at for light, flow and temps. Other then me here nobody talks/recomends about Julian Sprungs books on Corales, he is, maybe was the Guru on Corales, flow/lighting, placement/temps. "Corales, a quick feference guide" Edited for content ~ RL

Last edited by a moderator:

BobBursek

Fter rereading this, I do not think your Alk is 14, bad test kit, and API are so good for that, I use them, when close to yellow let it sit for a minute then stir again, I bet it is closer to 10-11 depending on the salt mix, which you have not told us which one you use?

jgking21

Bob, I use Oceanic, it was in the first post. I will try the test again tonight and see if I get a lower reading, this was the first time I used the test kit.

fivel

Other than the white spots, have you noticed any other signs that something is off?

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
How the heck did someone offend someone so bad in a freaking high calc and alk thread ?????

There was a comment made that contained a "slur". Yes, it was offensive, and in no way belonged in this forum, or this site.

Back to reef chemistry....

jgking21

Well first I'm very sorry that my thread had some bad things going on in it! And thank you mods for removing it and reposting the thread, I need help!

I retested my Ca and Alk and came up with a Ca of 500-520 and Alk of 12, I'm going to do a water change now and hopefully drop Alk a bit more.

Could the high calcium effect my monti cap?
This picture is from yesterday:
7-21-09.jpg

And this is it today:
7-22-09.jpg

I know they aren't the greatest pictures, but you can see that there is some bleaching going on. As see in the first post, all other levels seem fine. Can anyone offer any suggestions? This is happening to another monti frag in the tank as well and the other 2 frags seem fine. Please help!!!

BobBursek

I think I may have been the offender here, and I apologies to all and Fivel the most! If your salt has high Ca and Alk levels a water change will not bring your tank levels down, just let time and coral usage bring it down, I am not that familur with your salt, but did you read the link I gave you on your salt and how it's levels tested out? I still can not believe your Alk is that high, and your Ca level is safe if it as actualy that high, what is you PH?

BobBursek

Re reading all of this, your SG as stated is 1.024, what are you measuring it with, you may have a higher SG concentration then you think, giving you high CA and Alk in the water, and your test results are correct.

jgking21

Yep, I looked at the link. I did see that the Oceanic Salt had the highest Ca level. The ph is 8.2, so I'm guessing it is the salt that is keeping the levels high. I've used it on my 25 for years and do like it though. I'd like to do a small water change (5 gallons) to help keep some slime algea under control. The only other thing that I can think has changed is I added some Phosguard in the sump to help remove phosphates.

BobBursek

But what are you measuring SG with? The Phosgaurd I do not think would raise CA and Alk, again your Ca level is safe, it is just the Alk that concerns me if that is an accurate #.