CA, Ph ,KH and MG problems.

crass

Hi Guys .....

Im sure this has been covered 1000 times before.....but my searches dont turn up my particilar problem.

My current values are as such. (Salifert test kits)

Ca- over 500ppm
KH- 6.1
MG-1200ppm
PH-7.1
(iodine undetectable)
I use kalkwasser in my RO/DI water at half the recommended dose (as Ive just started with it) so I use 10g to 10ltrs water. I stopped using this yesturday as the calcium levels are too high)

My question is should I start dosing up my Magnesium to bring all my values into line?

KH/ph Buffer? or higher dose of kalkwasser?

Or do I just perform a few 50% water changes with my D-D H2ocean salt?

Advice is greatly appreciated?

Many Thanks

Dean

Tru2nr

first things first what does your NSW test out at? Also the thing to remember about dosing Kalk in your ATO is that evaporation changes daily depending on the humidity/temp/air flow of that day. its always recommended to dose very little in your ATO...

reefer gladness

Low levels of magnesium makes it difficult to maintain alkalinity and reduces solubility of calcium. Magnesium in seawater is about 1320ppm and approximately 3x the level of calcium.

I would start by raising magnesium and alkalinity first, pH will rise with the alkalinity.

Is your tank stocked? I would assume not given the low pH of 7.1, assuming that's the case I wouldn't be dosing kalk if there are no corals in the tank using the calcium. I'm fairly new to using a kalk reactor but I have mine set to dose according to the pH, my kalk doser turns on at 8.18 and turns off at 8.22. I'm still dialing it in but at these settings the tank pH reaches 8.3 at the end of the light cycle and the kalk doses overnight when the lights are off and pH drops.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If those values are correct i would stop dosing anything, get good quality salt and do some large water changes.....that should get things back in line for you. Very hard to chase parameters......very easy to do 3-30 gallon water changes IMO :)

crass

Hi guys..

I was told by the LFS in order to raise my dKH and PH I should add kalk to my ATO and maintain reg water changes. I currently do a 20% change every 2 weeks.

ok my NSW
values are as follows

PH 8.3
Ca 440ppm
Mg 1345ppm
Kh 9.3

My tank has a few soft corals, mushrooms and an encrusting hard coral(hitch hicker) and 2 anemones... 2 clowns and 5 anthias. All are in good heath and showing no signs of stress......atm...(guess that is changing unless I get this sorted quick)

So the step forward would be to a buy magnesium additive and a KH buffer?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Dean

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
I would have to agree, unless you have a bunch of stony corals you should be able to keep parameters stable with water changes alone without having to dose anything. I would start with some good water changes to get back to where you should be.

Tru2nr

Seeing as your NSW values are good stop all dosing and do 50% water change every 2 days

...Food, beer, salt needed can only afford two...i'll buy food next week i'm a reefaholic

You need to up your mag. You will always have problems with your Cal and Alk if your Mag isnt right. The other problem is that you are doseing it into your ATO water. It also depends how stocked your tank is, Water changes alone dont even come close to keeping my tank levels where they should be, but it might work for you. Also whats wrong with those last parameters you posted?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Have u tested fresh salt water u just mixed for a control number. Unusually soft water may b part of the issue.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

crass

thanks guys
I stopped with the Kalkwasser immeditely and I have started with my water changes and after the second one I will post my results. I will test my ro/di water to see if hard or soft.

i will keep you informed and thanks for the advice

Dean

steved13

PREMIUM
IMO dosing should not be used to chase numbers. Dosing should be used to replenish what is being used by livestock between water changes. Since you don't really have a drain from your livestock, water changes only.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Unfortunately with many salts it's not possible to adjust your parameters just by water changes because it's unbalanced to begin with either too low on alk or calcium or in some cases in mag, you say NSW levels do you mean your artificial salt water or ASW ? If it is than those #'s are really good, which salt are you using ?

Although it's true that you may not having any calcium demanding corals BUT as your coralline algae starts to take off you'd be surprised how quickly the cal/Alk/mag levels will drop. Again since your ASW levels appear to be real good it may be enough just doing water changes or it may not so regular testing will be necessary.

draumur

gah im having issues with alk and ph as well and mag is on low side too.. in my 40 gallon:

mag: 1250
ph: 7.4 (morning) 7.8 (night)
alk: 40 ppm
cal: 480 ppm

i have an anemone a clarke and a goby. i havent tested my water i use for water changes tho i get it from the lfs but i was wondering if there is too much carbon dioxide in the air for the water cause the tanks in my room and i do on occasion smoke in here and there is no hood on the tank.. the lfs sold me three bottles aquavitro brand i have ions to raise magnesium, eight.four to raise ph and another for calcium but that seems ok. i dont know whats up in the last week ive changed 14 gallons out of a 40 gallon tank so i dont know why they would be so low

reefer gladness

Hi guys..

I was told by the LFS in order to raise my dKH and PH I should add kalk to my ATO and maintain reg water changes. I currently do a 20% change every 2 weeks.

ok my NSW
values are as follows

PH 8.3
Ca 440ppm
Mg 1345ppm
Kh 9.3

My tank has a few soft corals, mushrooms and an encrusting hard coral(hitch hicker) and 2 anemones... 2 clowns and 5 anthias. All are in good heath and showing no signs of stress......atm...(guess that is changing unless I get this sorted quick)

So the step forward would be to a buy magnesium additive and a KH buffer?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Dean

I'd have to say your LFS is mis-informed at best. Kalk is not a substitute for a buffer solution to maintain alkalinity. It helps but it's not a substitute. If regular water changes aren't enough to maintain alkalinity then you need to dose a buffer solution. Test regularly (like every other day) until you're comfortable with how much the tank is using.

Magnesium plays an important role in maintaining alk and calcium levels as well, if regular water changes aren't enough to maintain levels then you may need to dose mag.

FWIW, some salts are low in magnesium because it tends to precipitate when mixing.