Buying the Best RO/DI (help put all the info in 1 place)

What RO/DI or water filteration do you use

• Online store/LFS brands such as Kent, Pinnacle, Captive Purity, Spectra Pure, Aqua FX, and Maxxima

Votes: 25 35.2%
  • The Filter Guys (separate category since I saw quite a few references to this brand)

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • eBay brands like Aqua-Safe, WaterGeneral, Pure Water Club, and Soumi Knight Systems

Votes: 8 11.3%
  • Home improvement store models from Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc…

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Water vending machines such as Glacier Water found outside grocery stores

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Distilled, bottled water

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Simple filters such as Pur, Brita, and similar types

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No filtration, straight tap water

Votes: 9 12.7%

• Total voters

corrado007

I’m contemplating the purchase of an RO/DI unit as many of you have in the past. It seems that most of us are looking for an inexpensive unit that works well (makes sense). There are numerous threads on this however, with so much info its difficult to find a definitive answer as to what most people use. I’d like to capture all of your opinions and experience in this one thread so future RO/DI buyers can easily make an informed decision (of course it would greatly help me too : ) Please feel free to specify which unit(s) you own, whether or not you like it, and why. Also, if you know of any systems to specifically stay away from, please mention those as well.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have a Kent Marine-Maxxima Hi-S, 4 stage purifier. It has done well and I have no problems. It runs around $300-$340.

Attachments

• ro_km_dmax.gif
    ro_km_dmax.gif
    20 KB · Views: 258

DrHank

I went with an e-bay purchase of a Water General 5 stage. My TDS isn't 0 but I'm not going to complain about a TDS of 14. The unit ran about $150. No problems.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Excellent thread corrado007!! I am in the same boat at you right now. Been buying bottled water and it's starting to add up and that's with two small tanks. It's time to seriously investigate and budget for a system in my home. My biggest hurdle is that I am currently renting a much older home with limited space for tanks/equipment. I'm anxious to hear what others have to offer.

Thanks for starting this thread!!

Allen :)

boozeman

IMHO the filter guys offer the best 'bang for the buck''
distilled, bottled water doesn't make economic sense unless you have a pico or small nano...and if so then you might consider already mixed salt water.... and using a tap filter such as pur or brita would make sense only in an emergency situation

Warnberg

It really depends on where you live, some places you can get away with very little filtration some you will need lots. It's best really to talk to someone that can build a unit spacific to your water and tank needs. I personally would talk to someone at Air Water and Ice or The Filter Guys.

goldenmean

I just bought a system from the filter guys last week
$ 199.00 - OCEAN REEF + 1 FIVE STAGE 75 GPD RO/DI
RO/DI Systems

I had heard great things about them and I can say it is true.
I called them directly to order as I had a few questions which they were great at helping me understand what was going on.
It was really simple to install and when I had a unforeseen circumstance during installation, I called them and they helped me through it.
I now have RO/Di water for my tanks and RO for drinking.
The garden and plants get the waste water.

Total with some accessories and shipping $250.00.
Not haveing to lug a couple of 5g jugs from the LFS- priceless!

Kirblit

Hands down, Filter Guys are the best for sure. Their products are great, their service is second to none, and their prices are very resonable.

CATALYST

I got a Watts 5 stage from CostCo. I think it was about 140 and a year worth of filters was 25. They have an option you can add later that is a 'no waste'...I'll have to check more into it later. It has a 3 gal tank so only like 9 gal a day max. I had a hospital tank that I changed the water daily on so I changed the filters at 3 mos instead of 6.

kimoy

my water general bought off ebay works great for me. i am getting a TDS reading of 0 and it's been 6 months now and still at 0 doing 50-70 gals a week of DI water not counting the RO that we drink.

Dragon Wrasse

I don't fall into any of those catagories, my town has a premium water store where I buy high quality, state tested, RO water for 30 cents a gallon.

I have the watts Premier from lowes. Its a 5 stage Ro system. I buy the pre filters from there as well. The RO membrane is a GE. There are only two manufacturers of the RO Membrane Ge and Rainsoft, there are thousands of rebadges out there, It may say kent, culligan, and so on but it is made by those two companys. IMO the life of the RO membrane is how good the prefilters are and how bad your water is. The watts is 34 gallon a day. Good bang for the buck and you can get the replacements from your local hardware store. Watts is located here in Phoenix and I have spoken to them several time and even stopped by to pick up a new bracket at, Very nice and UTD on info.

corrado007

Been searching Ebay.. it's kind of over whelming isn't it?

Allen

It sure is. There are a ton of options and no easy way to determine which are good and which are not so good. Good thing we have this forum to share info and experiences. : )

Jova

I have a Kent Marine RO/DI unit and I love it. It's a bit slow, takes about 8 hours to crank out 5 gallons, but I just turn it on before I leave for work in the morning, and when I get home I have a full jug. I bought RO water from the machines at Kroger's for years, but this is much more convienent, and it has paid for itself over the past year or two.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm researching this indepth as well now. I went and bought more water yesterday and it's just adding up weekly!!

Allen :)