Buying live rock with algea ?!?

ZaNe

Hi,

I have a deal on some LiveRock from a particulier. The problem is that some hair algea grow on them since he's closing his tank and removed some flow. Here, LV goes usually around 8$ for a pound. He's selling it for 3$ because of the algea. Is it a good idea to buy it and get rid of the algea while cycling ?

I talked to some friend that are saying that algea is easy to remove. I will just have to go without light for a couple of day and to run rowaphos in by phosban reactor. Is it really that easy ?

I need some advide here

Thank you

Frankie

RS STAFF
It all depends on the rock and what type of algae. Do you know these answers? If it was in a previous reef you might want to cook the rock by placing it in a large garbage bin type of container and throwing a heater in there, hook a skimmer up and let it run for a few weeks. It needs to be saltwater and a temp around 80/85 should be good.
Where are you from anyhow? Have you considered buying online?

BigJay

You can order Live Rock all over the place now delivered for not much more then $3 a pound. Unless its spectacular rock I'd avoid it. Starting off with problems is not the way to go. We as reefers run into enough on our own.

ZaNe

Thanks for the quick answers.

It's hair algea, but it's not covering all of the rock. it have only a sligth coat of algea. It's around 50% fiji rock, 50% sulawesi.

I live in Canada so I don't want to order from the states because Customs always taxes like crazy + customs fees. If I was in USA, it will be much simpler :p