Buying a used Red Sea Max 250

Leo

Do any of you know if I should upgrade the skimmer. It has a stock skimmer which I've read some negative reviews. IF so, any recommendations. Anything else I should upgrade for the sump?

Pat24601

Do any of you know if I should upgrade the skimmer. It has a stock skimmer which I've read some negative reviews. IF so, any recommendations. Anything else I should upgrade for the sump?

This is the prior model 250 and not the C-250, correct?

The C-250 stock skimmer is fine in my opinion. The prior model I've read complaints, but also read of folks sticking with stock. I'll let others speak for that model. But, personally, if the person you are buying it from has been running it stock, I'd stick with and see what you think rather just pre-emotvely buying a new one. Might not be needed and you'll have plenty of other places to spend money on.

I used to see the deltec mc500 recommended as a replacement, but my quick check at marine depot says it is discontinued. So, perhaps others can reccomend a replacement.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Deltec_I...ein_Skimmers-Deltec-DD1513-FIPSISNW-4-vi.html

Reactions: Leo

Leo

Thanks. I agree to not be as hasty as I've been lately. Does it come with a media rack? If not should I at least pick that up. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I run the stock RSM 250 skimmer, other skimmers may work better, but the stock one works for me...

it does not have a media rock, not a must have, but a nice addition - besides it and a Vortech MP10, I run stock.

Danreef

I run the standard skimmer. Nothing to complain about it. I have not tested other skimmer (s) so I can't compare. There are a couple of tips that you need to know to setup the RSM250 skimmer and.....ready to go !! :)

pablomay28

Rather than buying a Deltec for $500+ I got a sump and reef octopus and built my own overflow for less than $400. Check out members different set ups here. Some RSM 250 owners run their tank stock and some run them modified.

Last edited:

Leo

I run the standard skimmer. Nothing to complain about it. I have not tested other skimmer (s) so I can't compare. There are a couple of tips that you need to know to setup the RSM250 skimmer and.....ready to go !! :)
Thanks! And where could I learn what those tips are??!

Kman237

Hello Leo, I used my stock skimmer for 3 months after buying the tank used. I was having to constantly adjust the air flow. I ended up buying a Red Sea Max 250 Nano Skimmer from Reef dynamics. I installed the skimmer yesterday and as of now it's starting to break in. The installation was super easy and so far the skimmer is much more quite. The only thing I can hear now are the fans from the lights when they are on. I will keep you posted on how well the skimmer works. The skimmer had nothing but good reviews. Give me a few days and I'll give you a better review on the skimmer. I would advice at least giving the stock skimmer a try before changing it.

Leo

Which nano skimmer? And yea, I'm taking my time here. Thanks.

Leo

Thanks. Did you read my comment about my cracked bottom trim??

pablomay28

Which nano skimmer? And yea, I'm taking my time here. Thanks.

Brother i would rather get the Deltec than have to deal with a skimmer that has 2 pumps 2 adjustments. Its hard enough adjusting a 1 pump skimmer.

Kman237

I'm currently only running one pump on the skimmer. You have the option to. Will see if I ever need the 2nd pump.

Leo I did not see the comment about the cracked trim. Still haven't located it?

Leo

I'm currently only running one pump on the skimmer. You have the option to. Will see if I ever need the 2nd pump.

Leo I did not see the comment about the cracked trim. Still haven't located it?
i think its here, so far i think i'm ok...