bumblebee snails

kathywithbirds

So the 37's been up for a few days, no ammonia or nitrites to speak of, nitrates are around 10. Thinking maybe I had enough stuff from the 5g that broke to avoid a complete cycle? Dunno.

In the meantime, I threw in two bumblebee snails. There should be enough algae on a number of rocks to sustain them.

I also have what I hope will be a "pod house." I threw a bunch of rubble from the 5g together in a corner of the tank, there are some pods there already. I noticed the 6-line wrasse loves to cruise the rocks looking for stuff to pick.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds good Kathy! I have a few bumblebee snails in my tank also. There cool when they come out.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Just an FYI Bumble Bee snails are carnivorous not herbivorous which can be a problem in the reef tank, I removed all of mine from the tank.

kathywithbirds

Are they good for getting detritus off the bottom? That's what I wanted them for, there's some food the fish don't get, I figured 2 in a 37 gallon was fine.
I'm trying to get together a nice mix of cleaners. I don't have any coral right now, just LR and a couple hitchhiker featherdusters. Hermits are herbivores, right?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Wow i never knew that! what are they after Robert? Are corals safe?

Ron Shimek doesn't recommend them in reef setups and although never seen any damage from these snails I didn't want to take a chance :guns:

BTW Kathy hermits are omnivores so they'll eat their veggies and any meaty leftovers.