Bulkhead question

MrPex

I ordered all the hardware goodies for my new AGA120 last week and forgot to order bulkheads! :smack:

Anyway, the overflow and return holes (4 total) are all 1 3/4" in diameter.
282073_2134037625474_1082040429_32529992_257188_n.jpg

Do I need a 1-3/4" bulkhead or do I use the inside diameter of the plumbing that I'm going to use and order a 1" bulkhead? (As a side note, glass-holes.com doesn't have 1-3/4" bulkheads, so if that's the size I need, any recommendations?)

Also, do I want to use thread x thread or slip x slip for the bulkheads?

TIA!

Pex

MrPex

Thanks...

Anyone know if I need to order the gaskets GH sells or do gaskets come with the bulkheads?

jpsika08

Check this one out, Bulkhead

As you can read under the specs it states that the hole size needed is 1.65", in your case you got 1.75" (1 -3/4") so this would fit nicely, all bulkheads should come with their gasket, usually the gasket is bigger than the hole size and this is what prevents water going through.

Another thing to consider is the Slip X Slip or Thread x Thread configuration; personally I like the threaded x threaded ones as they can be reused with ease, but the Slip x Slip you have to glue in a pipe so reusing them is more difficult, just things to think about when purchasing them.

Once you get them, recommendable a little silicone on the gasket on the side applied to the glass, others recommend Vaseline maybe just ask which class.

Good luck.

MrPex

Thanks for the info jp. I ended up getting slip x slip because I felt more comfortable with the security of glue vs. Teflon tape 'just because'.

Ugh, but which way do they go in? I assume the gasket goes on the wet side, but do I put the threaded end in from the wet side too and screw on the nut on the dry side?

BLAKEJOHN

The nut goes on the dry side. Gasket on the wet side.
Do not over tighen nut. Get it as tight.as you can by hand and then 1/8 - 1/4 turn to Finnish.
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jpsika08

+1 with Blake, if you over tight them probably the gasket will deform and allow leak on the bulkhead. :)