Bulb Replacement and Brand...

fivel

So... I already had a MH bulb burn out on my new MH/T5 fixture and am just going to buy 3 new 250W 14k bulbs to replace the 3 that are there since their reliability has less than impressed me.

The bulbs do not have a brand name on them but do say HIT 250W - 14000K on the glass of them. It's a single end screw in type MH as well.

My question is... is there really a big difference between the brand names out there available for MH bulbs and are HIT and HQI bulbs compatible in the same ballasts? I'm looking to order these online as soon as possible as i'm currently short a bulb on my fixture.

I know everyone says favorable things about Phoenix brand, but is there really a difference between their bulbs vs BlueLife, AquaMaxx, IceCap/Anthony Calfo Signature Series, etc.

Thanks

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes as a general rule of thumb there is a BIG difference in brands. I'd say if you took a poll (not a bad idea) you'll get a TON of different answers but many people like the Phoenix brand bulbs.

I'm running AquaMaxx right now (the owners left Phoenix) and LOVE them (when I'm running MH's).

fivel

Well, my ballasts are for HQI but the bulbs provided with the fixture were generic HIT. I don't know if they are compatible or not but I just ordered 3 new HQI bulbs online to fix it. Once again... lesson learned to not always trust someone who's information is based off of them trying to sell you something...

fivel

I ended up getting 3 250 Watt 14000K Metal Halide Bulb - AquaMaxx, Mogul Base from Marinedepot.com. It was a good price and a brand that I had heard several people recommend including Al, so we'll see.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I....including Al, so we'll see.

That's a recipe for disaster LOL!

I can't wait to see what yours are like. Mine are 150W DE so I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the 250W Mogul base. Our LFS is now carrying them across the board and apparently he's getting lots of positive feedback from other customers. I'll be watching this thread :)