"Bugs" - I want them!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I used dead rock for my tank but now that it is finishing up the cycle, I'm looking for the best way to get my bug population going. They just don't appear do they? I'm going to the LFS today......going to ask him today as well.

My buddy grows nice phyto......should I add some of that?

Thanks!

GlassMunky

if you used all dry rock and dry sand youll probably have to add them to the tank or fuge and let them reproduce.

Corailline

Try and get some chaeto, it usually carries tons of pods (that you can not see initially). Other wise as the tank ages the population will grow dramatically and decline based on available food and any pod eaters you may have.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Pods eat EVERYTHING lol!

I always "Seed" my tank with a nice fat juicy ball of Chaeto from someone's fuge.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Alright, I'll try to shake down the guys at the LFS for some and I'll does a few rounds of phyto my buddy has going then I'll let nature take over.

TY TY

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Go REALLY easy on the Phyto! Especially in a 28g tank as you'll kick off an algae bloom if you're not really careful. The "Bugs" will eat detritus and other things in the tank. Unless you're really NEEDING to push their population I think I'd skip the phyto... at least for now. Keep it simple and keep it FUN!

fishhead

Try and get some chaeto, it usually carries tons of pods (that you can not see initially). Other wise as the tank ages the population will grow dramatically and decline based on available food and any pod eaters you may have.

I have a little chaeto, but am still gearing up to the big batches in the late spring. It is usually loaded with pods. Crawling with'em.

Ashr

be sure to make sure the person you get the chaeto from does not have any flatworms... :(