BRS refractometer

tekjunkie28

I got this refractometer about a month ago and liked it at the beginning. But now it seems like it won't keep a calibration. Any help or am I doing something wrong. Do I have to recalibrate every time I use it. It is an ATC so temp shouldn't effect it after 45 secs right?

Also another thing I don't understand is that salinity @ such and such temp on a bucket of salt or in refraction.

reeferman

did you calibrate it with ro or calibration fluid?if ro,it may tend to wander a little.all instruments should be calibrated in the range that theyll be used.
most refractometers temp compensate by themselves

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah I would try to get 1.026 calibration fluid......that seemed to fix my issue......i always seemed to be adjusting it.

degibson84

just use the fluid and calibrate to 35ppt. then just check it from time to time to keep it calibrated properly. I check mine once a week when i make water for a change

Blue Space

the refractometer from BRS comes with calibration fuid. just use that, make sure you follow the directions and you should be good.

tekjunkie28

I do and it's off every time I calibrate it. I can check my mix a few times then use it the next day and it's off by about 4 ppt

Doogle

I do and it's off every time I calibrate it. I can check my mix a few times then use it the next day and it's off by about 4 ppt

That is totally unacceptable, id be very upset and want a replacement or money back.
Been looking at SYBON refractometers myself

catran

Call them or email. They helped me a lot with setup of my RO and upgrade and had to have a lot of patience getting me to understand without pics. Very nice guys, they should help you, but you need to call. I've never heard a complaint about their customer service.

Sent from my iPhone 5!
I love reefers....

tekjunkie28

Yeah I didn't think about calling them. I'll do that later on and see if I can get a refund or exchange. I have a feeling that it's one reason my corals are mad. At least my candy cane, toadstool and orange plate a mad. 2nd reason is I believe the IO salt is just junk. I read a post somewhere that a bunch of people who used RC had dead coral the next day. I need a much more stable salt mix.

reeferman

it could be the salinity but i doubt its the salt brand.i use reef crystals and my corals are doing fine.

tekjunkie28

They are sending me a new one. That was awesome customer service. They don't even want my old one back.

My pH has been off ever since I transfered from salinity to IO. Can't figure out y

reeferman

seachem salinity has exaggerated levels with much higher buffering capacity hence the higher ph.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They are sending me a new one. That was awesome customer service. They don't even want my old one back.

Cheers for Bulk Reef Supply's Excellent Customer Service !
1085.gif

tekjunkie28

Yeah well can anyone recommend a good salt for mixed reef?

My pH is about 7.8 during the day and if. I checked early morning before lights on its about 7.3. I almost have been tempted to check with stand pH test kits just to see if it isn't lower. Alk is about 8.

catran

My pH has been off ever since I transfered from salinity to IO. Can't figure out y

Yeah, I didn't want to say it, but I figured they would. Very nice guys! I've never had a product issue, but they've been so helpful that I knew they'd help in some way. Glad to hear!!

Sent from my iPhone 5!
I love reefers....