Brittle star babies?

Hey guys, read the thread that was titled Baby Stars Everywhere, also looked at the picture of the white stars and mine are totally different! Mine look exactly like my two brittle stars, just white and are maybe the total diameter of a dime! And my wife captured an extremely awesome photo of one! Did one of my stars reproduce, are these a type of hitchhiker? They look just like my two stars just very tiny. My two "adult?" stars are about 3 inches in diameter and the larger one is about 6 inches from leg end to leg end....here's my photos! As for now my wife and eye have been watching our rock and there's at least 12 of these little guys!

Baby? Notice it looks exactly like a brittle and not the Asterina(spelling?).
102_0961.jpg

Baby again?
102_0962.jpg

102_0963.jpg

My small adult star - bout three and a half inches all spread out.
102_0960.jpg

Look closely at the two next photos and you can see little white legs!
102_0972.jpg

102_0971.jpg

Thanks and sorry for the large post!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Those are called "Micro Brittle Stars" and very good for your tank. Their numbers will rise and fall with the amount of detritus and other food sources. They are a very good part of your clean up crew and yes just hitch-hikers.

Good for the tank :)

lcstorc

Al is correct as usual. I have thousands of them in my tanks. They can get relatively largish. Not really large but bigger than the ones you have now.
Great pics. Awesome bristle worm pics as well.
Isn't it fun to watch the critters appear from the rock?

adresher

I have thosands as well. I am always saving them from the filter pad in my wet/dry. I thought they were baby brittle stars as well since I have some that are normal size. I was hoping they were going to grow up. Great pictures and really good information from everone. Mine do look different though since they are banded and look just like a full size brittle star that I have.