Brightwell Aquatics Salt -Alk low

Ratpack

I have the Brightwell Aquatics salt that my Lfs said was the best they sold, but I tested it tonight and the alk was right around 6 dkh. Anyone else used this salt mix and experienced the same thing? I am letting some sit for a bit and will test again, but I am not sure this is the salt I need for a reef tank. Especially since I am getting ready to add some SPS corals.

carmexx

Yes I experienced the same thing. It always tested 6/7 dkh. I decided I wanted to change so I wouldn't lose any hard corals. Went to Red sea pro. I have heard though the red sea new formula is good. I may try that after this batch. Funny thing is I have an unopened 175 gal bucket of brightwells. Time will tell.

Ratpack

I tested the tank after the water change and it is in the 9dkh range so I guess that is OK. I have supplements, so i may try to raise the alk some. I also tested the calcium and it was about 500. I don't have a lot of this bucket left so I will continue to monitor it and then try something else when it is gone.

Ratpack

I originally used Reef Crystals, anyone know of a reason I should not go back to using it? It is one of the salts that is readily available most anywhere I shop.

I've read lots of posts and surveys on whats-what for salt. Don't think anything was ever said too negatively about Reef Crystals, supposed to be good for the money. One thing a lot of hobbyists don't do is really mix that stuff up in the bag or bucket to mix up any settling prior to use.

I've been a Red Sea Coral Pro guy for the most part but swapped to ESV B-Ionic for sanity's sake, too much fouling in my mixing tank/gear with 1 part mixes for my OCD to handle. :wave: