**Brian and Stacy's Reef Experience**

brikeibur

Ok, so we went and talked to some folks, and it is going to be $1300 to get our 76g ready for water and liverock. That is for the stand, canopy, and lighting.

It's bad, but not as bad as we initially thought. That is still not counting the additional sand and LR. Oh, I am sooooo ready to get started on it too!!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I believe BigAl has one or two of these racks. Check out his chronicles or just send him a PM for the pics.

I have some I have made. They are fairly easy to make but on my next "Frag Tank" I think I'll probably used something more like this
Mag-Racks | The Magnetic Coral Frag Rack

Don't get me wrong. I like the ones I have now but they are held to the glass with "Suction Cups" and they tend to get hard/stiff over time. I haven't had to replace them yet but I am sure I will.

If you need any pics or more input please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Allen :)

brikeibur

I have some I have made. They are fairly easy to make but on my next "Frag Tank" I think I'll probably used something more like this
Mag-Racks | The Magnetic Coral Frag Rack
Allen :)
That is awesome Allen!! I will definitely have to look into getting me one of those. It may not be the 'prettiest setup' with a rack on the side and all, but it is a wise decision for us to save our frags for the big daddy!!!

Good luck on the 76 gallon project!
Thanks Craig! We are going to need it. I have been trying to skim through and catch up on Allen's thread about his tank, and it looks like we have quite a bit of work to do (the sump and overflow stuff blows my mind!! LOL).:bugout:

Stacy

brikeibur

Allen, I checked on those mag racks....and the price for those isn't bad at all. I really really like them. I am going to order me one this week, along with some frag plugs and glue.

Does anyone know if it matters what type of superglue? Does it need to be a certain kind or anything particular in order to be reef safe?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Just get something local that's Super Glue Gel. It allows more working time. I saw recently some brand that had a color indicator and that I would NOT use. I buy mine at places that have mutli-packs for cheap. I don't really worry about name brand.

Where are you getting your frag plugs from? I have a GREAT source for them as well.

I think you'll like the Mag-Racks. They look to be very high quality. At one point my LFS was giong to carry some Mag-Racks but I've yet to see them in the store myself. He was also going to carry Frag Plugs & disks but I've yet to see them either. I need to call him.

If you want my "Info" on frag supplies shoot me a PM.

Happy Reefing and Happy Fragging :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
PM returned with MORE information that you asked for. Hope that's a PLUS :)

All I ask is for PICS in return :)

Also note that the Mag-Racks we talked about earlier are available from
Oceans Wonders as well.. I think I left that in the PM too..

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:LOL: I've been LOTS of things.. to LOTS of people but that's a first... I'm gonna have to GOOGLE to see what that is before I says thanks... :LOL: Just kidding!

Seriously yall keep me informed.. in case you can't tell.. I LOVE Fraggin!!!

brikeibur

Lol!!!:LOL: :laughroll :lol:

The 2nd and 3rd definitions are TOOOO funny. I did however use it with the meaning of definition #1. LOL!! :tongue:

brikeibur

Wow,

Ok, so it's been while....

Unfortunalely in the gap between my last post and now we have lost Gizmo (quite literally actually, though now I think we can write him off as 'permanently' gone :tears: ). I've no clue what happened. One day he is perfectly fine, swimming around, eating, etc.... the next day he is M.I.A. No clue what happened. We looked all through the tank for him (in the back near the filters, under rocks, behind plants, etc... but he was just ...gone. So sad I loved that little guy, he was SUCH a cutie pie!!

First we were having some type of problems with our Zoas. We lost almost an entire (and rather large rock) of zoas. Is absolutely depressing, because we got a good deal on that rock and I doubt we ever find one like that again (for such a bargain anyways). There are only a few zoas left....and the entire rock used to be just COVERED. We have ordered some water treatment to dose the tank with (it is supposed to treat some type of zoa disease, but be harmless to everything else in the tank - well, except for algae....it is supposed to kick algae's butt - which I'm fine with, because I'm tired of cleaning hair algae off the back of my tank). We finally ordered this stuff (too late really if you ask me, as our zoas have already ceased...) after waiting FOREVER for one of the LFS to order it, which they kept saying "It'll be in next week"....two weeks later..."It'll be in next week". Until finally, we checked back and it was "Well, we just got some in, but we sold the last bottle today"....I mean WTF!!! So.....we ordered it ourselves, which is obviously what we should have done to begin with, because now we have like 4 zoas where we used to have 50.....

Soooo....on a brighter note however, after having our water tested MULTIPLE times by various folks and watching our other corals and fish carefully....we have 2 new additions!! :yup:
We bought a tiny yellow tang and a blue damsel (the yellow tailed ones as these are supposed to be the least aggressive of the bright blue damsels). So far so good.....both are eating and swimming and seem to be loving life. YAY!!! That puts us with four fishes: Squishy Cheeks (the clownfish), Princess (our Royal Gramma), Pooty (the Yellow Tang), and our wee little blue damsel (no name yet, haven't decided).

I will have to post pics of our new additions and our sad little zoa rock for you guys soon. I need to get you all up to date....it has been too long. We are 's l o w l y' in the process of cleaning up our tank...so I have sorta been waiting until that is completed before posting pics, as I do not like the looks of it right now. There is coraline all over the back, but not solid, really splotchy...looks bad, very distracting and busy looking. I hate it. It is a pain to remove also. We are slowling scraping it all off the back and downsizing our corals...I'll post pics as soon as I can!!

Later all!!!
Stacy

brikeibur

Ah....back!!! :spinner:

Hello All..... Wow it has been too long.

So, good news....we are trying to FINALLY move forward with our 76G tank...goodbye nano hello 76-er!!! Yay! :fingerx:

One of the hold-ups we had was that we needed a stand and canopy for our tank, which just the stand is $700+ EVERYWHERE I look. We even considered buying the entire setup from a few sellers, and reselling the tank, just so we could have the stand/canopy. We have finally decided to build it ourselves...heheee. A friend of ours agreed to help us, so we decided to go for it. We would have started sooner, but the tank is a half circle..so we felt a little overwhelmed...not quite as simple as just a rectangle.

Anyway, I have recently purchased some lighting (2 x 250watt HQI metal halide retro kits) and am looking to get some actinics and LEDs to go with it. I actually have several questions on that, but I tried to post that in the correct spot. Here is a link to it, as I need all the help I can get:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/equipment/46120-need-advice-lighting-halide-actinic-combo.html

I also finally cleaned up the little nano, it was AWFULLY overgrown and just cluttered looking...scary really. I took some pics the other day so I will post those as soon as possible. It looks so much better. :eek:

I will also try and take photos of us building the stand and canopy, so our mistakes or successes might help someone else... Heheee.

I am so excited about the new tank...finally more corals and fishes!! Yay!!!

Well, until my next post, which will hopefully be some new pics for you guys, LATER!!

OH, and Frankie....I finally used my gift certificate you gave me from the photo contest forever ago...LOL. I got a red monti cap frag..yay!! I will post ya some pics of it on my next post. THANKS GUYS!!

..this is Stacy btw...