**Brian and Stacy's Reef Experience**

plecosword

Holy crap man! were have I been, your tank is looking sick! and your powerhead scares me lol
nice "shimmering" effect btw

brikeibur

Holy crap man! were have I been, your tank is looking sick! and your powerhead scares me lol
nice "shimmering" effect btw

LOL, thanks man!

Yeah, I actually think the powerhead is going to be too much. We removed one because we initially had two, but I think that still may be too much.:eek: I think that due to the curve of the glass, the flow is increased and so it takes less to get it going good...just a thought.

I just worry my euphyllias will be blown away with the current that's in there now...LOL.
:spinner: :rocket:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got a pair of 1200gph power-heads in my 90 in addition to my 1800 gph (down to 1350gph with head height added in) and I want more. Of course this isn't a BOW-FRONT so that could be making a difference in the math.

brikeibur

Yeah, they are 1300gph, and initially it didn't look that strong in there, but then I added my yellow polyps to the tank the other day, and they looked like were in the middle of a hurricane! So....I adjusted the PH so that the current wasn't so strong, but then I added one of my frogspawns and I had to spend forever looking for a spot where it wasn't looking like it too was being blasted away by a hurricane.

I finally had to point the PH way up, toward the surface of the water, but even then, I had to put the frogspawn UNDER the powerhead and sort of in a corner....so I'm really not gonna have anywhere to put my other three euphyllias, because they all won't fit directly under the PH.

I think I'm going to have to go for two much smaller ph's, and maybe then I can cycle them with the lighting so it is mixed up a bit.

I just know that euphyllias don't like real strong current because their skeleton can damage their tissue...so I'll have to think of something...

brikeibur

Oh, checked params again last night:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 15
Nitrite: 0

In addition to adding the yellow polyps and one frogspawn, we also stuck Pootie Tang in there (he is our yellow Tang). He was looking cramped in the 24g so we added him to the 76g so he could swim free, like the wind..... :grind:

He is kinda wierded out right now though....He just kinda hangs out in one corner. He's probably like "Where the heck is all my buddies??!! WTH?!" :tumble:

brikeibur

A few pics of some of the corals and such:

This is Harry, a new coral we picked up. I believe he is a porite:

IMG_2436.jpg

Our zoa frags that have been relocated from the 24g to the 76g:

IMG_2426.jpg

The button polyps seem to be doing better after the freshwater dip and move, and the yellow polyps are looking good as usual:

IMG_2424.jpg

Overview of the zoa hangout:

IMG_2431.jpg

A couple of actinic shots of our new mini zoa colony:

IMG_2317.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

And finally here is a candy coral that is making a comeback. We thought he was dead and gone, but hung onto the skeletal remains, and here he is, alive afterall!

IMG_2420.jpg

brikeibur

Params today:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

:D

So, we had moved pootie tang (the yellow tang), princess (royal gramma) and damsel (self explanatory) to the 76g from the 24g a while back. We also have been slowly moving pieces of liverock and corals over.

After getting great readings today and yesterday, we moved the rest of the liverock over, fixed the aquascaping, put the last few corals in, and lastly put in the two clowns (they were quite aggressive in the 24g - because of being overcrowded no doubt - but for that reason we wanted to make sure they went in last).

We also added our moonlighting to the tank and sorted out some of our cords and such (we still need to purchase two more timers and then we should have it all worked out). We also finished the plumbing by adding the locline where the white pvc came out into the tank previously.

I will post some detailed pics later, but without further delay here is a nice little video of the final results:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dW1jHq9uQI[/YOUTUBE]

brikeibur

Ok, and as promised, a follow-up to the previous video....the still shots to go with it!

Here is our lighting all finalized:

IMG_2726.jpg

The moonlighting:

IMG_2739.jpg

I made a screen to cover to the overflow since I want to add a sixline one day, and a mini 'Dori' and I don't want them getting lost in the drain or the overflow:

IMG_2742.jpg

The Full Tank shot:

IMG_2743.jpg

Here is the clown hangout, right beside their favorite frogspawn which they have recently decided to host:

IMG_2753.jpg

And here is where all the other fish chill:

IMG_2750.jpg

Left Side:

IMG_2757.jpg

Middle:

IMG_2755.jpg

Right Side:

IMG_2756.jpg

Alright folks, that's all for now. Hope you enjoyed!!:thumbup:

Stacy

brikeibur

Well guys its strange.

If you recall I was having issues with my brown button polyps. They were closing up and looking like they were beating eaten or just were decomposing....shrinking away to nothing and then end up with holes in them and such.

I did a freshwater dip on them and they appear to be doing better.

I have a new colony of zoas and two small frags of zoas also. The new colony and one of the frags of zoas aren't doing very well. The frag rarely opens anymore and looks to be shrinking. The colony is opening, except the ones on the outer edges...these seem to be closing up and shrinking. The colony just doesn't look as full as it used to be and has several that just won't open.

There are no white dots or anything on the zoas that would indicate zoa pox. I did a freshwater dip on them the other day, but it seems as there is no improvement in their condition. The second zoa frag is doing great, but the odd part is that it has one of the zoas from the other frag in it, and it is doing awesome, but one inch away the original frag is doing terrible. This leads me to believe it is not water conditions nor lighting since the same type of zoa is doing great and is located less than an inch away among another type of zoa frag.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to what I could do to prevent further deterioration of the zoas?

I'll try and post some pics later...thanks all.

astiesi

I had a colony of zoas that were constantly expanding and melting without any explanation. I decided to try dosing Vitamin-C and since then have had unbelievable growth and all my zoa colonies have looked nothing but healthy. You may have another problem there, I am no expert, but if you cannot find any explanation it may be something worth trying.

brikeibur

I had a colony of zoas that were constantly expanding and melting without any explanation. I decided to try dosing Vitamin-C and since then have had unbelievable growth and all my zoa colonies have looked nothing but healthy. You may have another problem there, I am no expert, but if you cannot find any explanation it may be something worth trying.

How and what did you dose them with?

Did you take them out and dose them in a separate container for like 15 mins and then return?

If you have a link that explains the steps, or don't mind filling me in that would be awesome, I am willing to try anything as by doing nothing I'm pretty sure i'm gonna lose them anyway.

Oh, and thanks about the tank....it has been a slow process but so far we are very pleased with the results. Do it yourself makes you appreciate the finished product so much more!