Braces-less aquarium with 2cm glass thikness

markm3

As i have been 2 years in this hobby , and safety is my concern , i am willing to replace my aquarium tank with another but Braces-less.

Its dimension 170 cm Length , 70 cm depth , 60 cm hight , all is by 2 cm thickness and tempered glass .( old tank 12 cm thickness tempered )

Is it oky for these dimension to build without any braces or not ????

Please i need you opinions

thx

mark

GrendelPrime

im not to sure on this 1 but if its a glass tank i wouldent feel safe without tank braces..theres pretty much nothing else keeping ur tank together except sylicone..to much of a risk

jcgardner

I agree with Grendel, if it is glass I would go with braces too. I just bought a used 100g tank that doesn't have braces and we are putting frames on the top and bottom. Granted silicone is very strong, I didn't realize how strong until I started this new DIY project, I still wouldn't trust it to just the silicone.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Actually the rim doesn't do a lot except for side loads like leaning against the tank.

The silicone is really all that holds the tanks together. Typically if it's less than 22" tall and 36" long 1/2" glass will do, anything larger and you need 1" glass, this is just what I gathered when I was ordering my rimless tank.

markm3

thanx for the reply for every one ,

but again its 2 cm thickness and tempered !!!

we are talking about 775 liter 200 gal ...

as a safety factor its number 8

and normally you can go for safety factor 2.5 - 3

any re-considering ??

thanks

jcgardner

I would still have a brace. It will help to keep the edges of the aquarium from chipping, even if it doesn't help with support.

Tank coming along nicely Grendel, thanks for asking.