Bow front vs a regular tank

glampka

I have a 72 bowfront - I like the extra room it gives me to do aquascaping. 1 con is that if you want a hood it's more difficult to build one to the curve.

Thank you i was thinking of leaving it as an open top but throwing a shelf above the tank to hang the lights form that

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I have a corner tank, and it is very difficult to access the back for servicing the tank equipment. Also- you have only one viewing side, instead of three or four with a classic shaped tank.

seafansar

I've had both. A regular tank give more viewing sides. It is a bit harder to get the lights even over a bowfront and the whole hood issue. They're about the same to me other than that. I would say whichever one you like better, go for it! Oh the glass on a bowfront is just a tad bit harder to clean than regular flat glass.

That the thing its going in a spot that you can only really see one side, but thanks for the really good point

Smoker

Most lighting fixtures are made to fit standard rectangular tanks. You will have more options to choose from.

Doogle

I have a corner bowfront and I love the slight curve in the front glass. It almost magnifies the tank without distorting it. My woman's favorite tank. The shelf over it will work fine. Unless it's a really large bowfront tank normal t5 fixtures usually fit them fine. Beides its only the very front that gets less light and thats where low light corls end up most of the time. Clams can go on rocks and i dont get why everyone has to have them on the sandbed.( ahem ) Anyway, It's the corner tanks that get tricky...Then your looking at a hanging fixture unless you don't mind rigging something up.... But that usually takes away from the clean slick look of the tank. I don't look through the sides on rectangle tanks often anyway, now cubes are a different story.

Brandon78

I have a 50 bow and I love it. My 6bulb t5 fixture fits fine. However my next tank will be a regular tank. Like I said i love my bow, but your limited on canopy and I'm looking forward to a standard tank for my next one just because it'll be different

Willie McDaries

I always though I would hate the look of a bow front until my sister set 1 up...the extra room in the center was great for aquascaping,and like already stated,the curved glass seems to magnify the view without distorting it...

IMO,lighting isn't an issue because your aquascaping is pretty much in the same location as with a rectangular tank and the lighting is basically in the same orientation,you just have added room in the front for fish to swim plus you get the slight magnification of the curved glass....

I still prefer a rectangular tank simply because it's easier to build your own tank and stand :D but I do like the look of a bow front,if you're good with wood working,you can build an awesome looking stand and canopy for a bow front,it is just a bit more difficult

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Off topic but I do really like the big corner tanks. So deep.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

Tru2nr

just to ensure no confusion because it seems some are talking about one type of bow front and some are talking about another...are you referring to a corner bow front tank? or are you referring to a rectangle tank that has a bow front? Also are you dead set on a reef ready tank or are you going non-drilled?

Just a bow front not a corner tank, the tank is pre drilled dead center of the tank, its a tank off my local CL, so thats what I was looking for other then the canopy problem I dont see any other problem with it.