bought a boxfish

Gwen

Hi there,
yesterday I went to my LFS to buy some stuff, and I caught sight of some unbelievebly cute tiny boxfish, some 1 cm long each. All of a sudden I decided to buy one, they were so amazing in the tank swimming up and down... So, here it is in my tank, and it is only now that I have started to collect some information about it. It grows huge. Ok, I know that now, but this summer I will built my 600 l tank. But here is this toxin thing and I am scared it will nuke my tank. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Is it a real danger? It is so tiny, it just seems to be so unbelievable.
Shall I bring it back to my LFS, or let's see what will happen, if any? :confused:
By the way, it eats a lot, seems to be happy in the tank.

(Though the LFS told me it was a boxfish, I think it is a cowfish.)

Thanks for reading.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Cowfish is a species of box fish, I have no experience with their toxins but I doubt you have anything to worry about unless something is agitating it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That's one of those fish I don't put in my own tanks for the reasons you've stated. Small or not it doesn't take much toxin in a CLOSED environment to do a BIG amount of harm. Not worth the risk IMHO.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
True :) I don't disagree with you this time Al, I have no experience with them but typically fish like this have a live and let live attitude.

I would risk it in a large tank where it had plenty of room, in a small tank I would agree with Al.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I would keep it since it's already in there :)

Al we didn't help at all just added more confusion. Lol

Gwen

Today I took it back to the fish store. I am relieved. :snshne:
Now it won't do any harm to me. :bluenod:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
At least you've eliminated a level of stress regardless :) That's ALWAYS a good thing.. a VERY good thing IMHO :D