Bluespot Injured - Urgent Help Needed

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Billy and Lynn, I should have listened to you about the lid or egg crate top. I guess some of us have to learn the hard way. I am going to Home
Depot this weekend for some egg crate. Does it cut down on the light much? Sorry Blue to hijack this thread.

lcstorc

It doesn't cut the light much at all. I was actually able to find eggcrate that has a mirror surface of some kind and that makes the water sparkle a bit. Unfortunately, eggcrate is not foolproof. Even with it I have lost a fish or 2 to the jump. It does greatly reduce the chances though. Best of luck.

bluespotjawfish

Good luck with the egg crate! Does the reflective coating stay on it or flake off into your tank? Wish they made them with a smaller hole spacing. But, when you get your fish you have to talk to it and tell it that the bottom of the tank is much more exciting than the top and nothing will bother it unless it comes to the top.

lcstorc

No it hasn't flaked at all. I was worried about that in the beginning, but after about 5 months I am starting to believe it won't. I don't think it is a coating at all. I think it is solid plastic colored reflectively somehow. I don't really know how to describe it, but I have even tried to scratch scraps and can't.

becki

ive had two bluespots,cant get them to survive.
had my tank two years and they are the only fish ive lost.

bluespotjawfish

Thanks Becki, can you tell us more about what types of problems you have had with them? Several folks are considering getting one and I want to make sure they understand these fish as best as they can. For me, getting them to settle in was the hardest part, but personally, I have had similar issues with most gobbies and blennies (just more costly, so it hurts more).

I think my recent problems are related to how recently my tank cycled. I think I should have waited a few more months. My other fish are still recovering from issues associated with the stress from the ammonia spike, so I think there is more icky stuff in the water from them. I had my previous one for years, without any special attention offered. I did have a few jump out of the tank (my inexperience to blame) before that.

Anyone else ever had one?

becki

both of mine have had flesh wounds also,im wondering if it has anything to do with something picking on him under the rocks ,such as bristle worms,just a guess,because mine ate good up until the end .

bluespotjawfish

I'm starting to wonder if something is getting mine. It isn't the other fish. They have never bothered them (even when newly introduced to the tank). Hum, what could it be?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lorriane, is it possible that they are injuring themselves jumping? They could be packing a wollop when they hit the tank cover. I remember yours had facial/gill area wounds. Just a thought.

bluespotjawfish

They were jumping in the bag and the net, but once they were in the tank they all have settled in the bottom very quickly, afterwhich I was observing them immediately. A rock could have fallen and injured the one, but I wouldn't be surprized if something else attacked it. I think the other was just not right from the beginning, even the color was different (look at the two photos and you can see how black his face is - stress). If the cleaners in my tank suspect that something isn't well, it will take advantage of that so a sick fish won't last long.

Scott,
sorry for the loss i would love a bluespot but Im very afraid of killing expensive and sensative fish so i am reluctant to take the plunge