Blue's 120 Reef

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Anthias change colors along with gender, correct? Like a male is a different color than a female?

here a bit I read... maybe others will know & can add more... mine looks just like yours :dance: and is one of my favorite fish :)

Sexing Bartlett's anthias is possible as males are larger and often more colorful than females. They are protogynous hermaphrodites. This means that all fish are born as females and if something happens to the male, e.g. if he falls prey to a predator, the largest dominant female turns into a male. This process can be completed in just a couple of weeks. If you buy a group of juvenile Bartlett's anthias you will end up with a harem group. Bartlett's anthias have as far as we know not been bred in aquarium. It is an egg laying species.

Bartlett’s anthias has a stunning pink color over much of its body, with yellow on the back and dorsal fin. Male and female Bartlett’s anthias differ in color, with males having a yellow scale center and violet margins on the caudal fin. Males also have a longer second dorsal spine, very long pelvic fins and a protrusion on their upper lip. Bartlett’s anthias reach a maximum length of around 3.5 inches.

ziggy

yeah, my goby did a great job with the algae. Unfortunately, he died a few weeks back. I noticed early on that his stomach was getting more pinched. He never had a big one, but it was getting worse. He still sifted sand, so I tried hiding shrimp and cyclops and pellets in the sand. Sadly, he starved to death. I really have no idea what happened, other than maybe he exhausted the sandbed (or the tiny portions that he would actually sift.) I just added an Anthias and green bubble tip two days ago.

Did you see him eating anything other then algea?
If you saw him eating and his stomach was thin he may have had worms

Tanks looks good!

lbiminiblue

Did you see him eating anything other then algea?
If you saw him eating and his stomach was thin he may have had worms

Tanks looks good!
no. Just sand, really. I don't think he was eating any of the food i placed for him. If he did, it was minimal amounts.

lbiminiblue

Yeah, a much needed one too. I've been kinda keeping up with the tank, but I guess school took it out of me. I'm hoping to pay more attention to it this academic year. Want to get a pearly jaw tomorrow.

lbiminiblue

Well, phones are terrible for this. The blue is way too strong. I'll try with a DSLR in a little. Or a GoPro Shot.

lbiminiblue

eta4u4ub.jpg

lbiminiblue

748a09019b05ce6d7202beb5b2d0199b.jpg
5f6526718919c707368236a8df0d4e41.jpg
3d4dc893c0bc66c385e98916f1288c6a.jpg

LEDs in place, filled the tank with RO water over 5 hours so, then threw in instant ocean overnight and let the current dissolve it.

Going to add some live sand and ocean water soon to kind of kick start cycling, although I still have all my LR and LS. Need to up salinity to 1.025 from 1.020.

Also going to add an acrylic lid so the lights don't get splashed.