Blue Xenia

lcstorc

I am fairly certain it is different. The true blue doesn't have the feathery heads. The heads are really small and stay closed.
Mine grows really really slowly and most people report the same, but the guy I got it from has had great success with it. It seems to like lower nutrients than the other types of xenia. I have mine in mid light but low flow. It is doing well but the growth is very slow.
Here's a pic of mine.
fish0808021.jpg

BigJay

Mine grows really really slowly and most people report the same,[/IMG]

Lynn everything I've ever read about true blue xenia states the same. I've never once heard it called easy or a fast grower.
But sadly like many corals people will market things incorrectly. Either out of lack of knowledge on thier part of thier counting of lack of knowledge of the buyer. Technically since no scientific names are usually used in the sale of corals to the common public they can call it whatever they want.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Technically since no scientific names are usually used in the sale of corals to the common public they can call it whatever they want.

This is one of the MANY places that our "across the pond friends" excel over us. But we like simplicity in life and that's what we get :)

sambrinar

IDK I bought it from Dr. Foster and Smith, said Blue Cespitularia Xenia.. Mine looked exactly like Lynn's for about 2 months and took off running...

Here it is when I first got it...

Saltwater_tank_018.jpg

sambrinar

Not really sparkles, looks like Al's 2nd pict, Kind of an irridescent blue/purple... Buying from Dr. Foster/Smith I would think they would not sell me something with the wrong name one of the reasons I buy from them... Stuff cost me a small fortune.

The heads started off small and then grew to more feathery as it stretched out... Now they are in med to high flow,, maybe that is why they are so "feathery" IDK, they really didn't get like that until I added the other PH, then it grew like crazy

Heliux

I think they look the same to me? could altitude have an effect?

Also, i know it was stated with moderate light, will it do fine with alot of light?

BigJay

its always possible they are reacting to your tank differently Brenda. Sometimes that can be good things or bad things. Stressors can make corals react differently or maybe you have the exact right combination thats making them uber happy.

3 weeks after I got it in a raffle at my reef club

CIMG2045.JPG

and 2 weeks later or today, just took the pic

CIMG2113.jpg

I have had it a total of a month
120gal 4xT5, gets occasional gusts
I pretty sure its the same stuff, it is slowly getting more blue

naperenterprise

Yeah mine grows pretty fast too! I have pom pom walking up the side of my tank as we speak...

I have a metalic blue that grows slower, but just a bit... It seems to get bigger, then starts to walk around.

Mavjoy

Here's mine when i first got mine.
09302008496.jpg

09302008499.jpg

I haven't taken a more recent picture but it's been doing good so far.

sambrinar

Also, i know it was stated with moderate light, will it do fine with alot of light?

Thanks you guys for chiming in and posting your picts... make me feel better. Mine took at least 2 months to get happy and spread it seems to get taller, then stalky, heads get more open, then flattens out and moves like the blob LOL

Mine is under T5's center of 12 gal tank... here it the link for Dr F & S with some information on it
Saltwater Aquarium Corals for Marine Reef Aquariums: Blue Cespitularia - Aquacultured

lcstorc

I would hope Foster's and Smith got it right. Mine is about 3/4 of the way up on my 90g under T5 lights. Not much flow, but I am adding another power head this weekend so we will see if that changes anything.

sambrinar

I will be courious to know Lynn, if that changes anything. Again after I added the PH, it was like miracle grow or something,,, Taking over the rock, I leave on the weekend and BAM, it has spread to another area...it is growing faster than the pulsing xenia.

Basser1

I got a frag from Techno-Vicki in August and it's doin well! I think lighting can play a big part in how these look. I'll post a few pics of mine for you to see. The heads stay pretty much the way you see them. I have mine in medium lighting and medium flow.

MH and Actinics, No Flash
hpim2572ee1.jpg

Actinics Only / With Flash
hpim2568lw3.jpg

MH and Actinics / With Flash
hpim2566fh6.jpg

new reefer 03

can i ask if you guys direct feed yours, and how often you dose your iodine? mine is still not growing noticably, and i beleive it is the pulsing one but only on a rare ocasion does it half pulse, you knoww?

Heliux

can i ask if you guys direct feed yours, and how often you dose your iodine? mine is still not growing noticably, and i beleive it is the pulsing one but only on a rare ocasion does it half pulse, you knoww?
You dont direct feed soft corals like xeniidae. And you want to make sure you dose with iodide, not iodine. it doesnt always pulse if it is getting enough flow

To Pulse or Not to Pulse? Identification and Behavior of Xeniid Corals by Anthony Calfo - Reefkeeping.com
Read this article, really helps with understanding the pulsing of xenia

I don't feed mine and most you really can't. They seem to either thrive or die in a system. I have some pulsing that have basically stayed the same I got them 6 months ago