Blue Xenia

Heliux

Just picked up a blue Xenia and was wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping her healthy and happy?
Is it like caring for Normal Brown pulsing Xenia?
How long till her tentacles will expand?

Thanks,
Lix

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It needs similar care and husbandry. Nothing really "different" except it's slower to grow.

How long? that would be a wild guess. No way to know.. it will pout but that's no biggie :)

Heliux

K cause he is being a grumpy pants right now lol. Will have a frag later this month, purchased one frag that had one biggy and a baby to the side so ya!

If your talking about Cespitularia then they seem to like about medium flow and light. i don't think they ever open up like xenia. Had mine for about a month and has spread out across the rock several inches in all directions

sambrinar

I have one as well. but I think it is growing pretty rapidly. It is in med flow and med light,,, they do not pulse or open like the pulsing xenia

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It was either trade him now or lose out on a blue cespitularea xeniidae.

I'm going to side with Wit here. It's a very dangerous move to buy something and THEN start trying to figure out what it is or how to care for it. We all make mistakes but you don't want to make the SAME ones over and over.

Risk losing the purchase rather than losing the tank because of a BAD purchase :)

Heliux

The thing is i have researched and everything, just not always are other peoples experiences the same as the book. There are alot of things books say that are just how they act in the wild.

Heliux

Well so everyone knows its doing alright, he is out and happy. So i got away with buying before researching this time. Next time i doubt ill be so lucky

untilthen

lol well i hope your ready to have tons of frags from it all over your tank... i have had 8 in my main tank and 2 in my mantis tank... its gonna take over everything so i hope your ready.

BEELZEBOB

dooode, if you reallly want somethin, but like 10 bucks down, go home, research research research, and if all signs look good, go back and buy it.

i personally dont like Xenia. its like a fast growing aptasia IMHO.

but the blue sparkly kind is cool. i just dont have the room for stuff that grows like that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Fast growers? Are we SURE we're all talking about the SAME Blue Xenia? If someone is getting this to "Grow Fast" I want to try and figure out what you're doing to get it to grow fast. I have Pom, Elongia and Blues and the Blues grow at about 1/50th the rate of the other two. All in the same tank....

Here are some pics of True Blue Xenia (not my pics)

xenia1closeup.jpg

xenia1colony.jpg

BlueXenia_Frag.jpg

sambrinar

Yep Al, that is exactly what I am talking about... mine

went from this.... on 9/18/08
bluexenia91808.jpg

To this..... 10/8/08 And I have fragged it twice... getting ready to do it again
Bluexenia100708.jpg

sambrinar

IDK why it is growing so fast, in the middle of my 12 gal, under t5 daylight 10K /actinic with 2 nano karalia pumps... Do you want some????

BEELZEBOB

wow.

you people and your weeds... :lol:

the blue stuff is cool, but again, look what it did in sabrinar's tank! thatd be like, half my rockwork! :D