Blindness in dogs

frisbee

My dog was attacked by 2 Pit Bulls early Easter morning in front of my house. She's was all chewed up around the head & neck area, but they stitched her up pretty good and now she's home. She is taking an antibiotic at the moment and the wounds are healing nicely. My question is, would something traumatic like this have any affect on the dog's vision at all? Before this happened she got around the house real good, but now she's bumping into things and is really having a hard time. I was just curios if her vision will improve as time goes by or is this a permanent affect? Could the medication have anything to do with it? Any information would be great. Thanks. :)

DaveK

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I'm sure you'll get some good answers here, but consider posting your questions to a dog forum, I think you'll get better answers.

I have never owned a dog, so I can't help you.

Antics

Frisbee,

I'm not a vet or anything similar. Just offering my own opinion. I had a family dog attacked by an Akita that was pretty vicious. Although he eventually healed and seemed to recover, I think that damage in his chest or neck caused a muscle to not heal properly or something similar because whenever he walked after the attack he seemed to always drift at an angle even if he intended to go straight. Eventually he learned to compensate for this, but perhaps your dog could be simply clumsy (for lack of a better word) instead of vision related?

frisbee

Thank you for all the replies. :)

I don't believe it's a case of clumsiness. She was actually an extremely agile dog before the attack happened. We've had her since she was a pup too and she's never behaved like this either. There was no damage done to the eyes, but being that one of her ears had to be sewed back on along with other wounds around the head & neck area, I'm pretty sure she's been medicated pretty heavily for the last 17 days or so. Were just hoping that the medication is in fact what's causing the eyesight problems and it's not something more severe. Time will tell I guess.
Thanks again everybody.