Bleaching Problem :(...uh oh.

JonnyF

I have 3 acans with 30+ heads on each, hammer corals, and some SPS corals, that have just started bleaching. One of the SPS has already completely died. I have no idea what the problem is? I have 3 x 250 watt MH, and I tried turning the middle MH off because I thought it might be emitting to much light, but it hasn't seemed to help... Any ideas?

Thank you so much, I really have no idea what to do. I was planning on doing a water change when I get home. I don't think its the parameters, because everything was normal on the last test about 3 days ago.

Any Ideas?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What are "Today's" full water tests?

What has changed in the last... 6 weeks?

How much water do you change and how often?

What do you dose?

How old is the tank?

How old are the lights?

JonnyF

What are "Today's" full water tests? Buying a new test kit tonight..will post results then.

What has changed in the last... 6 weeks? Nothing that I know of. Havn't added anything in about 2 months.

How much water do you change and how often? 25% water change every 2 weeks

What do you dose? Iodine...nothing else, or should i be? if so what?

How old is the tank? 4 Months old

How old are the lights? 4 Months old

spssick

iif ure doing lps/sps you need to be monitering and adjusting ure calcium/alk and mag.alk is going to deplete faster then the calcium.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What do you dose? Iodine...nothing else, or should i be? if so what?
Only dose what you CAN and DO test for. Anything else is a guess. That's like putting a quart of oil in your car once a week because "I know it uses a little bit". You may be adding WAY to much or not enough. I find that my mixed-reef tank needs NO dosing. My routine water changes MORE than take care of depleted elements. Keep it simple! Also note that some forms of IODINE are toxic in very low doses and the test kits for HOBBY USE are not nearly accurate enough to test IODINE.

How old is the tank? 4 Months old
Jonny IMHO that's a tad young to be heavily stocked with coral and especially SPS. :dunno:

How old are the lights? 4 Months old
Shouldn't be an issue this far into it since you added them 4 weeks ago.

Was this a sudden change?

If your test results come back "in the clear" I'd suspect some type of contaminant or pollutant. Anytime I even slightly think something is out of whack I drop a couple of large bags of CARBON into the tank ASAP and start preparing for a hefty but SAFE water change.

JonnyF

Ok, yes everything came back "in the clear".

I realize it is kinda of heavily stocked for a relatively newer tank, but these were all my old corals from a smaller tank I had set up, but I had to get rid of it, and wanted to try and keep the corals.

The lights weren't a sudden change. In the smaller tank I had them under the same lighting.

However, I did find my temperature was a bit high... I'm an idiot.. I don't see how that could of gotten past me..

Anyways, I turned it down, maybe the weather being hotter had something to do with it. Anyways, hope thats it.