Blazend FW Table/Tank

blazend

A little back story i had grown out some babe discus fish starting in a 18 gallon and over to a 30 gallon. My GF decided to surprise me with a crazy acrylic build. A COFFEE TABLE!!!

Right when i unpacked this babe i new it lacked filtration and the idea of salt creep taking over the table took us away from doing a clown fish/anemone setup. We decided to migrate our 30 gallon tank over to this 40 gallon coffee table.

After putting this beautiful coffee table together, I found 1 more issue. The lights it came with were 2 24" 3700k shop lights which were horrible considering they were under the tank and seemed to have dead spots all over which were extremely dark.

So before we even started putting water in the tank i tore the lights out and replaced them with 16 feet of led lighting and wired that to a remote.

So after the hard work of getting this thing setup, filtration and bubbler in it i had to move the fish from the 30. After the cycle completed we decided to move 2 fish at a time and make all levels get to 0 and add 2 more. (we had a total of 8 fish- 4 discus 1 angel 1 cheetah 1 tetra 1 pleco )

Here is the final results :)

IMG_4848_zpszm2p0d9y.jpg

IMG_4849_zps71l7iutw.jpg

The LED were such a good upgrade. We are able to change the colors to do other things then just white light like above.

IMG_4851_zps4k4khogw.jpg

IMG_4850_zpsgj4ngiiw.jpg

My night time is purple and each color has a 5 dimming settings.
IMG_4853_zpsjl7wxzrc.jpg

blazend

Completely agreed. I wanted it salt but just couldn't do it. I was happy with the choice considering the maintenance i have to do already is not easy compared to other tanks.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
you'll be changing a lot of water with discus!! looks great with the LED colors

blazend

When they are small i used to do 90% water changes every sunday and during the week would do a 30%. Now that they are bigger i just keep to the 10 gallon water changes every week.

sirrealism

I really like this. Many years ago I used a 55g tank as a coffee table tank. I used a sponge filter with a power head on it. I kept a 12" clown knife in it with an 8" red tail cat until they out grew it. Then they went in my pond which was 1200g. We didnt have LEDs back then so the best I could do was curly CFLs which worked ok. Hardest part was keeping algae off of the the top glass. I sure do miss that tank.
Really great job on this. Keeping discus is not easy. They are about the hardest to keep for FW IMO.

blazend

Thanks Sir! Yes, they are a handful at a young age. They are still quite small but watching them grow has been so fun! The 2 big boys as i call them are finally getting the blue markings on there fins which are amazing. I think they are the only reason i still have FW, without them i would have another saltwater tank.