black worm..LARGE!

we have a LARGE (4FT) black worm that is living in our tank, he has bright red and orange coloring on him too. He has zillions of little legs and lives at the bottom of our tank under some rock. He only comes out at night and he can also pick up fairly small rocks. We think that he has been eating some of our smaller fish, three are missing so far. We need to know what he is...and how to get rid of him!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP OUR FISH!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm afraid that size would mean taking the rock out and capturing it... You MAY be able to entice it into some PVC with some bait and catch it like that.. maybe a long piece of tubing with bait on the OTHER end... ? ? ? ?

r2d2

4 Ft???? thats huge.... well, according to Al's previous post, you can setup a new display tank for him and feed with tangs.... :yummy: :D
Hope you catch him fast and easy.
Greetings

David Shaw

OMG. If i had that in my tank i would 1) Die of shock and horror 2 ) Call in a priest 3) be up until 5am taking EVERYTHING out of the tank and netting it.

I am so glad i dip everything before it goes into my tank!

can that thing inflict anger on the owner ???? i know some of the fire worms can bite back but i was wondering since this eats fish it has a working madible that could be used to eat fingers as well

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think it "has the ability" but it's nature is to hide at all cost. That's one reason why they are so tough to catch because they are amazing hiders. If I KNEW I had one 4" long I wouldn't be sticking my fingers in any deep dark holes LOL

Island Hopper

I have one also! Not sure how long it is,I have only seen it a couple of times at night with a red light. Even then it is really shy and I've never seen it from head to tail. Always stays in the same rock, he's about the diameter of a pencil and is at least 12" long and very fast when retreating back into the rock. I would remove it but it will require moving a lot of rock and then there is no guarantee that it won't just move to another one before i can get it out. So for now it stays until I can find a way to get it out with out taking down the tank.